[AFS_OSU] Meeting Recap and Casting Today

Ridgeway, Colin D. ridgeway.38 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:35:13 EST 2016

All,

Last night Larry Buergel from Fisher Cast Steel came and spoke about Pattern Making

        -He gave some insight on how all sorts of pattern making and broke it down into two types of pattern making

                        1. saw and sand

                        2. CNC

        -Each of these types has its pros and cons.  Saw and sand can be more time consuming but it can also give details that may not be able to be able to be realized by CNC methods.

        -CNC machining of patterns is a very accurate and fast method but it also requires more training and knowledge...One you machine there is no turning back...."measure twice and cut once..."

        -To wrap it up Larry gave some additional info on how to put the wood together to make each pattern, an art within itself.

        -Larry has also stated that he will have his CNC available for the club to use whenever we want.  All we need to do is have an idea and we can make it happen!

        -Hopefully we all learned a little bit about the process and you are all excited to start making new things in the coming months!  Please let me know of any ideas you may have.

****As I mentioned last night, we will be casting some of the AFS trinkets today.  If you can help, please come to the foundry today at 1:30PM.  Also send me an e-mail to let me know if you will be attending so I know what size group to expect.

Thanks,

Colin