[Vwoolf] Major Authors on CD-ROM - Virginia Woolf

Edward Mendelson edward.mendelson at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 11 15:23:31 EST 2024

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

A list member wrote that they had access to the CD-ROM (from their
library), but didn't own it, and wanted to run the system again. Their
wish is my command.

You will need a computer with a CD drive. If you don't have a CD drive
in your computer, buy a USB-connected DVD drive for US$30 or less. When
you have the drive in or connected to your computer, insert the Virginia
Woolf CD and be sure that you know the drive letter of the CD.

Under Windows (I'll set up a macOS version sometime in the next few
days) download this ZIP archive:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mendelson.org/MajorAuthorsRunner.zip__;!!KGKeukY!3rLDf_8v29kj5Lgzz-s881Ls9TrP2i2G_V5_G3Y854dHQXfC7QdbEHMLqXLoU4UrrftIB6M-k4xb_WYV3gB1mnTZyTA00S4DvvM$

Drag the Major Authors Runner folder from inside the archive to
someplace convenient - like your Desktop or user folder. Open the folder
and run Windows311.exe. (You may not see the extension ".exe" on your
system.)

When Windows 3.11 opens, double-click the File Manager.

In the row of icons near the top of the File Manager window,
double-click the icon with the drive letter of your CD-ROM.

In the right-hand pane, double-click "setup".

In the right-hand pane, find "setup.exe" and double-click it.

At every dialog box, press Enter to accept the default settings (or
click on whatever button is the default). This will take some time, and
you should continue to press Enter while the setup program installs the
Borland Database Engine. Ignore the message at the end that says you
must restart Windows.

Double-click on the newly-installed red icon that says Virginia Woolf,
and be patient.

Unless I did something wrong, you should be able to print from the
program to your default Windows printer, though you will need to be
patient. I can post instructions, if needed, for printing to a PDF file
instead. You should also be able to hear the recording.

Click on the up arrow at the top right of the application window to make
the program fill the Windows 3.11 window. This will make it easier to
read text and look at photographs.

To close down, press Alt-F4 twice until you are prompted to end your
Windows (3.11) session. This will NOT shut down your Windows 10 or 11
system.

You will need to keep the CD disc in the drive for this to work.

Again, if you are the legal owner of a copy of the CD, feel free to get
in touch with me privately for something faster.