[Vwoolf] Research Project “A Room of One's Own: Echoes and Circulations”

Valérie Favre vrfavre at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:41:22 EST 2023

 Dear Woolfians,

We are delighted to announce the launch of a pluriannual research project
on *A Room of One's Own*’s reception, entitled “*A Room of One’s Own*:
Echoes and Circulation.”

Nearly a century after its publication, what echo chambers has *A Room of
One’s Own* opened up? This research project aims to examine the circulation
of Woolf’s essay across disciplinary, geographical, temporal, and cultural
boundaries, as well as the various and complex processes through which *A
Room of One’s Own* became a global text.

Our aim during this academic year is to explore the essay's heritage in the
humanities and social sciences, and to analyse its capacity to bring
various fields of knowledge into dialogue, by focusing specifically on art
history, geography, sociology, literary history, and philosophy.

The first session took place in early November. The art historian and
heritage curator Camille Morineau explored the connections between Woolf's
essay and art history, with a focus on women artists. A brief account of
Camille Morineau's lecture is available on our website:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://room.hypotheses.org/__;!!KGKeukY!yHDI99yqjf2kfYJHLb2F-nxiHAfoqla9QstVgylseSmOoZdQUDhGYeYOwVBDD8cOP_2GO9MPZfipCCEWZEI$

The following session will be on 6 December, we will have the pleasure to
host Yann Calberac, who will evoke the links between Woolf's essay and
geography, the heritage of the room metaphor, and the spatial turn in the
humanities and social sciences.

You will find this year's full programme below and on our website:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://room.hypotheses.org/category/evenements__;!!KGKeukY!yHDI99yqjf2kfYJHLb2F-nxiHAfoqla9QstVgylseSmOoZdQUDhGYeYOwVBDD8cOP_2GO9MPZfipwJl1FgA$ .

The lectures will be delivered in French, and take place in or near Paris
(Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Université Paris Est Créteil), and
on Zoom, on Wednesdays (3pm, CET), we would be delighted to be joined by
Woolfians around the world. We will publish brief accounts of each session in
English on our website to make them – at least partly – available to
non-Francophones.

You can follow us on X (Twitter) and Instagram: @woolfianroom

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at:
woolfianroom at gmail.com

Warm regards,

Valérie Favre (Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne) & Anne-Laure Rigeade
(Université Paris Est Créteil)

8 November 2023, villa Vassiliev, Paris
*A Room of One’s Own *et l’histoire de l’art par Camille Morineau (Art
historian & heritage curator)

6 December 2023, Université Paris Est Créteil (UPEC) & Zoom
*A Room of One’s Own* et la géographie par Yann Calbérac (Senior lecturer
in Geography, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne)

7 February 2024, Paris 1 & Zoom
*A Room of One’s Own* et la sociologie par Eric Fassin (Professor in
Sociology, Université Paris 8)

13 March 2024, UPEC & Zoom
*A Room of One’s Own* et l’histoire de la littérature par Christine Planté
(Emeritus Professor in French Literature and Gender Studies, Université
Lumière Lyon 2)

15 May 2024, Paris 1 & Zoom
*A Room of One’s Own* et la philosophie par Jacques Rancière (Emeritus
Professor in Philosophy, Université Paris 8).
29 May 2024, à Paris 1 & Zoom
*A Room of One’s Own* et la philosophie féministe par Camille
Froidevaux-Metterie (Professor in Political Science, Université de Reims
Champagne-Ardenne)