[Vwoolf] shell necklaces

Lauren Elkin laurenelkin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:01:14 EDT 2023

Hello Woolfians!

I'm writing with a request for information about a pair of shell necklaces
belonging to Virginia and Vanessa -- the ones that are currently on display
at the Charleston *Bring No Clothes* exhibition (photo attached). I'm
writing a short essay about them and would love to hear if anyone has come
across any information about them -- they are apparently being worn in the
picture with Stella (displayed above the necklaces). It seems they may have
been bought on vacation in St Ives, or at Studland Beach?

For instance one of them appears on the paperback cover of the Penguin
edition of the first volume of Woolf's diaries. I don't have that edition
so I can't tell where that picture is from or who took it. It seems like
it's Vanessa's, judging from the picture? (Virginia's looks longer,
possibly looped around twice?)

Any further intel would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Lauren

--
Dr. Lauren Elkin