[Vwoolf] Woolf and Montaigne

Judith Allen allenjud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 08:29:21 EDT 2023

Dear Marie Claire,

I did ' take the hint' long ago, and have rarely presented or written a
paper that does not refer to Montaigne's *Essays.* I wrote a pamphlet
for *Bloomsbury
Heritage in 2012: *It's titled: *Virginia Woolf: Walking in the Footsteps
of Michel de Montaigne.* It refers to Virginia Woolf's 3 trips to
Montaigne's Tower, but is mainly about his writings and how they connect
with hers. My book, *Virginia Woolf and the Politics of Language*
(Edinburgh University Press, 2010) has as its first chapter: 'Those Soul
Mates: Virginia Woolf and Michel de Montaigne', and his writings are
referred to throughout the book.

There are many others who have contributed a great deal to this
relationship. Dudley M. Marchi and Juliettet Dusinberre come to mind, but
there are others.

Thank you so much for bringing Montaigne to the list. I was very pleased to
find it.

Best regards,

Judith Allen

Kelly Writers House