[Vwoolf] Mark Hussey's reservations about the digitalization of archives

mhussey at verizon.net mhussey at verizon.net
Mon Jul 17 09:19:09 EDT 2023

Indeed. I’m sure we all have similar stories. And sometimes the rights holder wants so much money it also leads to the item not being used. Many years ago I wanted to include a story by Gish Jen in an anthology I was putting together but her agent wanted $3000. My argument that inclusion would lead many new readers to her author who might otherwise never have heard of her got nowhere so I did the book without that piece!

But the issue that started this thread, I think, was how to find out who owns rights to photographs, and I think we’ve made some good progress!