[Vwoolf] "Good Housekeeping" wasn't racist or imperialist, Virginia!

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 25 17:29:14 EST 2023

I am afraid I have been a long time answering your letter with the cheque for £90 from Good Housekeeping.

I am sorry they wouldnt rise to guineas, but I’m sure you did their [sic] best to make them, and in these times I suppose one cant complain. But what bad policy it is – being stingy about shillings!
(from an unpublished letter from VW)

Guineas were (obsolete) ‘coins minted from the proceeds of African slavery ... the reference is to black Africa ... to race and the history of slavery on which Britain’s wealth ... was built. ... the guinea is symbolic of the imperialist power that the English aristocracy had traditionally wielded’ (Jane Marcus in her edn of ‘Three Guineas’ (Harvest, 2006) pp. xliii, 224.