[Vwoolf] Woolf talk as part of Digestive Modernisms - Spring 2023 Research Seminar series

Peter Adkins peteradkins349 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:13:18 EST 2023

Dear fellow Woolfians,

Along with Dr Marie Allitt, I convene the Digestive Modernisms research
network. We've just announced our spring 2023 research seminar series which
includes a paper (from yours truly) on Woolf's *Night and Day *and so I
thought I would extend a warm invitation to the Woolf community to join us.
Please also feel welcome to share details of our events with students,
colleagues and friends who might be interested.

I hope to see some of you at the talks!

Best wishes,
Peter

[image: Hotpot.png]

*Digestive Modernisms - Spring 2023 Research Seminar Series*

Please join us for a series of online talks about modernism and digestion
as part of the Digestive Modernisms research network
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://digestivemodernisms.wordpress.com/__;!!KGKeukY!0Bg1WwOAXhrOTm3Aco4Wk_Rbj0PEBbEinsfoVUEmdngP9Iud34dcPUgH00zSsx2WBoba7ECGrtZ4JEgpRhnCwSw7guoD$ >. These events are free and
open to all. The talks will be streamed on Microsoft Teams (see links
below) and will last approximately 90 minutes, including time for Q&A. Live
captioning will be available. Image generated by AI at hotpot.ai.

*Research Seminar 1 – Wednesday 5th April, 4pm*

Microsoft Teams Link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tinyurl.com/digmod1__;!!KGKeukY!0Bg1WwOAXhrOTm3Aco4Wk_Rbj0PEBbEinsfoVUEmdngP9Iud34dcPUgH00zSsx2WBoba7ECGrtZ4JEgpRhnCwRJd7Vak$

Genevieve Smart (Birkbeck, University of London) - ‘The Passage to Gender
Indeterminacy: F. T. Marinetti’s Guts’

Peter Adkins (University of Edinburgh) - ‘Of Steaks and Suffragettes: The
Vegetarian Politics of Virginia Woolf’s *Night and Day*’

*Research Seminar 2 – Wednesday 10th May, 4pm*

Microsoft Teams Link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tinyurl.com/digmod2__;!!KGKeukY!0Bg1WwOAXhrOTm3Aco4Wk_Rbj0PEBbEinsfoVUEmdngP9Iud34dcPUgH00zSsx2WBoba7ECGrtZ4JEgpRhnCwTS3dehw$

Louise Benson James (Ghent University) - ‘Of course one’s stomach being
nearly the whole of one, it is apt to have very large pains’: The digestive
system in Radclyffe Hall’s *Adam’s Breed *(1926).

Derek Ryan (University of Kent) - 'James Joyce's ‘Lestrygonians’ and the
Modernist Gullet'