[Vwoolf] Susan Stanford Friedman

Judith Allen judithallen40 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 27 18:39:33 EST 2023

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

Dear all,

I learned about Susan many years ago when she was working with Rachel Blau DuPlessis on a book on H.D.. I had been cataloging H.D.’s letters at the Rosenbach Library in Philadelphia. I later met Susan at many meetings, the last one in 2019 at the ‘Recycling Woolf’ conference in Nancy, France; we were at the same hotel, recognized each other, and spent lots of time together.

I was to be the second speaker, but a change of venue, and how we entered the auditorium, led to my falling off the stage and spending 6 hours in the hospital. After that, Susan and I had many meals together, and since she was working with the keynote speaker— Kabe Wilson— I got to spend lots of time with them. I gave my paper the next day , going from a panel of two to one of four, so I was cutting as I was speaking. Susan, who knew my paper from earlier conversations, asked a crucial question, for she realized that I had left out a key point in my conclusion. Her question enabled me to state what I had left out. It was amazing!

As everyone has already noted, Susan’s support and generosity was clearly enacted at my panel. She absolutely saved me, and my paper, on that difficult day. What a great loss for everyone.

Best,

Judith