[Vwoolf] missionary string bags

Stuart Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 14 11:36:32 EST 2023

I write under a several difficulties.  Someone asked why missionaries
should want string bags.  Mark?  Jeremy?

I have finally managed to look at the book in question at the BL:
"Recollections of a Sussex Parson [Edward Boys Ellman]".  Not an easy
business since the cyber attack: no public computers available; only old
microfilm readers usable as the newer ones are computer-linked; couldn't
order a MS.  Ordering books has to be done manually - hadn't seen those
forms for many a year!

Then I got the 1925 edn, whereas I suspect that McNeillie used the 1st
(1912) edn.  In any case, I don't have vol. 4 of the Essays to hand in
London.  In even more any case, I don't think he referenced this, er,
reference.

I haven't gone over every page of the book, but I think VW has misled us
(having read quickly &/or remembered poorly): Ellman's daughter, Maude
Walker, writes in her Memoir at the beginning of the book - and, boy,
does she go on and on about his last days (he died aged 90) - "When his
eyes grew weary in the evenings, he played whist or patience, and
sometimes netted string handbags to give to charity sales" (p. xxiii).
At the beginning of the paragraph, she mentions that he wanted to build
a Mission Church for the distant part of the parish (his church was in
Berwick).

I hope you're satisfied!

Stuart