[Vwoolf] Daisy

Ellen Moody ellen.moody at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:49:07 EDT 2022

I'm almost afraid to come out with new examples for that will cause many
counter-examples to appear. But only almost.  Some of these strange (weird)
new
names in the US come from TV shows, where characters and the actors
themselves regularly have such names.  Kyle  I am told, was the name of a
character
in a popular TV show.  I never heard the name before.  An actress set to
play Anne Elliot in Persuasion is named Dakota Johnson - now that is a
Native American
word or name and is found in two US western states: North and South Dakota.

I see that in Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate a character named Lady
Montdore associates Daisy among other names (like Nellie) with English
housemaids.
I would have said Irish -- as in Ellen.  Ellen is familiar as an Irish
housemaid's name but it is also the name of heroines (the first I can think
of is in a novel
by Mary Brunton called Discipline (perhaps 1815?). I have a personal story
about the name Daisy I didn't have the nerve to tell before, but here goes.
When
my older daughter had not yet been born, I was casting about for a name and
I thought of Daisy.  I like the name. But when I told my mother, she was
horrified; I told another friend who urged me not to. To both the name was
somehow déclassé.  So I didn't.  She is Laura Caroline. I would have
preferred Caroline Laura but my husband said no no no.  Caroline is too
English. He was British (English).

Ellen (who am not Irish)