[Vwoolf] ALL women?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 18 06:51:45 EDT 2022

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

One has to be careful even with AROO:

"All women together ought to let flowers fall upon the tomb of Aphra Behn,
which is, most scandalously but rather appropriately, in Westminster Abbey,
for it was she who earned them the right to speak their minds.  It is
she—shady and amorous as she was—who makes it not quite fantastic for me to
say to you to-night: Earn five hundred a year by your wits."

Up jumps (metaphorically) Jane Marcus, and SHOUTS:

What about the "Very Fine Negress"?  "Can we imagine the Negress kneeling in
Westminster Abbey? Is she included in 'All women'?" ("A Very Fine Negress"
in "Hearts of Darkness: White Women Write Race" (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers
University Press, 2004), p. 38)

Oh, for Heaven's sake!  Never mind the Negress - what about all the
working-class women who have worked and earned - and worked and not earned -
with their wits or witless - for hundreds, or thousands, of years?

Virginia Woolf doesn't mean ALL women.  She means all of the sorts of women
she is supposedly talking to "to-night" - all educated young women.

So beware!

Stuart