[Vwoolf] "the 'ignorance' of privilege"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 17 06:07:39 EDT 2022

If you live in a country that doesn’t have a national health service nor something equivalent to a welfare state, then it is reasonable to worry about money.  Hence, Leslie Stephen’s panicking about money.  Of course, Julia had a lot of money behind her (where did it all go to?), but, suppose Leslie had been the sole breadwinner (as it were), what would have happened to the family if he had died suddenly?  Cf. the effect of Leonard’s father’s death on the family (and see Angus Wilson’s “The Middle Age of Mrs Eliot”).

I believe that a middle-class Victorian paterfamilias was recommended to save a substantial proportion of his yearly income to cope with various rainy days.

(I feel I may have sidetracked people over typing – it really was the article that resonated with me.)

Stuart