[Vwoolf] Victor Emeljanow - obit

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 8 15:53:03 EDT 2022

!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

I never met Emeljanow, although I took a course with Margaret Williams
(mentioned in the article) and I knew (although never spoke to) Robert
Quentin (he *may* have addressed a remark to me once).  It’s an entertaining
obit, as well as giving an insight into the awfulness of academia.  I
particularly like: "His eyes narrowed, and his head fixed me like a chook
marked for the Easter raffle."

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://dailyreview.com.au/victor-emeljanow/__;!!KGKeukY!hvio3mLRxG1oSypSG5BluxIya07VSVbSSHN_TbOJ_ri44oMAPnbvwVnAH78bitkh0yg$

Tenuous link to VW: No. 83 From her review of "The Cherry Orchard" in
"Chekhov: The Critical Heritage", EMELJANOW, Victor (ed.), Routledge & Kegan
Paul, 1981.  (Quentin was particularly keen on Chekhov.)