[Vwoolf] Bell biography revisions?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 30 10:57:40 EDT 2021

Bibliographically speaking, the 1996 Pimlico (which I don’t have) is a reprint of the first edn.  Of course, there can be small changes between reprints, but nothing really substantial.  Generally, it seems that Harcourt were left to their own devices to do any corrections: i.e. as Hogarth picked up errors, no one cared about the US.

I have the first Hogarth edns and the Paladin (1976), and there are changes/corrections in the latter:

VOL. I

p. 44 fn changed

p. 75 fn ‘prerogative’ misspelled: corrected

p. 97 Virginia Stephen “had met Croydon in the pages of Virgil” corrected

p. 143 fn JR doesn’t have xxi chapters; should say xii

p. 175 ‘independant’ corrected

p. 227b Perneel corrected on p. 225b

VOL. II

p. 23 Marjory Strachey should be Marjorie

p. 95 ‘Two postcards’ changed to ‘Two examples’

p. 120 ‘ulian’ corrected

p. 224 last line ‘had been’ changed to ‘had seen’

p. 273 running head should be REFERENCES

Stuart