[Vwoolf] A Room of One's Own

Diane Reynolds direynolds1502 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:37:11 EST 2021

Did anyone see the story on student protests about housing conditions at historically Black colleges? I thought it was in the NYT but can’t find it again. In any case, it reminded me so profoundly of what Woolf described at woman’s colleges: the way the lack of funding and endowment impacts life on a day-to-day basis. In part because of the Woolf lens, I found the article very moving. I was also thinking of Woolf today as I read that Robert Burns, who gets full credit for “A Red, Red Rose,” transcribed it from an anonymous Scottish girl's singing. Whether a woman or a man originally wrote this folk tune, the Scottish “girl” could well have made it what it was—but here is another case of Woolf's “Anon.”