[Somean] So Mean location, Slack channel and VaLP this week.

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 23 09:48:21 EDT 2021

Hello beloved So Meaners!

I hope that you had a lovely and stress-free summer, even though that’s a bit of a tall order these days. I’m looking forward to seeing your shining faces again in any case.

The plan for this year was to have a hybrid situation for So Mean. With the current Covid situation, the math on those plans have changed a bit, so we’ll have to figure out as we go. We have both a Zoom link and a claim on Oxley 122, which has been fitted with a fancy new HEPA air filter. My house is back in lockdown for the moment, so we’ll definitely have a Zoom component every week. If anyone would like to gather in Oxley 122 and connect using the fancy Zoom possibilities in there, let me know and we can get that going.

I’ve also created a Slack space, with a channel for So Mean chat. If you haven’t used Slack, it’s a chat system like discord that allows for synchronous or asynchronous text exchanges. I thought it might be a step up from the Zoom chat for us, since it can be used off Zoom, will maintain messages post-meetings, and has threading. If you’d like to try it, create or connect an account with this link: https://join.slack.com/t/kbckworkspace/shared_invite/zt-uqrniedu-ghnKMvDweHorNoPc1pgLew and join the channel #somean-chat. Feel free to also join the other open channels. I particularly recommend #pet-pictures.

Also, be aware that this week is the Variation and Language Processing conference, hosted by our own Nicolai Pharao, founding member of So Mean. It starts Wednesday, in Copenhagen and online. I’ll be giving a talk Friday morning before our meeting. More info here: https://nors.ku.dk/english/calendar/2021/5th-variation-and-language-processing-conference/

Hope to see you all Friday!

Kathryn