[Sc-aquaponics] Feeds and Duckweed

Dr. Dave Smith drdave at fwfarms.com
Thu Jan 23 12:27:30 EST 2014

Charlie is also correct, and it also relates to the low quality and
digestibility of duckweed protein.  People have been culturing duckweed for
animal feed for a long time (see Dudley Culley's work in the 1970's in
Mississippi and Louisiana), but this was for ruminant cattle feed.  It is
probably only suitable for herbivorous fish like white amur (grass carp).
As a matter of fact we often feed our goldfish a higher protein (38-42%)
small-sized pellet, and feed conversions are good because they need so
little of it.
---Dr. Dave