[OSU-SLSR] COVID-19 Update and Remote Options for Service-Learning Courses

slearning slearning at osu.edu
Mon Mar 16 16:37:35 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.png at 01D5FBB1.2FD85EB0]

Dear Service-Learning Instructors,
As you have likely read, Ohio State has suspended in-person meetings and is encouraging virtual instruction and remote work for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. In order to best protect our students and surrounding community, and remain in compliance with current guidelines, you will likely need to make adjustments to your service-learning partnerships.
While courses will continue, we recommend that instructors no longer require students to complete any in-person service hours at any service site that involves close personal interactions, whether on Ohio State's campus or off-campus. However, if there are tasks students can complete remotely, they are strongly encouraged to do so. Your reflection course work should also continue online to ensure that students still have a space to process experiences they may have and continue to learn and grow within your topic area.
In order to move forward with making these changes, we recommend you contact your service site leaders to discuss if there is potential for students to be able to support their team remotely.
Some possible remote activities to discuss with your service partner include:
*       conducting background research or gathering best practices or other information requested by the partner;
*       taping, recording, or streaming performances or workshops to benefit community partner;
*       creating digital and other social media content, print program materials, or other methods for information-sharing;
*       undertaking assessment, evaluation, or feedback via phone or web-based services;
As always, we want our partnerships to remain mutually beneficial. We understand that this situation is not ideal, and we recommend you remain flexible and understanding if your partner organizations are no longer able to accommodate student volunteers at this time.
If your current community partner is not able to accommodate remote engagement, there may be other activities you can include in your course.  Some suggestions to consider are listed at the bottom of this message.
Thank you so much for your patience and flexibility throughout this process. As the university updates guidelines and more information is released, I will continue to update you to the best of my ability. While we might not have all the answers just yet, if you do have questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out and we will do our best to support you however we can. You may also refer to https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/features/coronavirus and https://keepteaching.osu.edu/ to stay up to date with Ohio State's current information and recommendations related to the coronavirus.
Thank you again and be well,
Claire Sweigart

Suggestions for Remote Service Activities
1. Help map the most vulnerable places in the developing world with Missing Maps to help organizations better respond to crises affecting the areas: https://www.missingmaps.org/learn/<https://www.missingmaps.org/learn/?fbclid=IwAR2ILhVX1-TzDKiV7aazgi5QYlg1AYvRC1Clva_RrCwEOsm6hXA2VaphgYo>

2. Leave poetry feedback on the Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop for incarcerated and formerly incarcerated youths and adults: https://freemindsbookclub.org/get-involved/give-poetry-feedback
Watch these videos to learn more about how to comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWV9sHGw7U&t=17s<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWV9sHGw7U&t=17s&fbclid=IwAR3l0CnCMp25dEOgiEqCPHBRUk7Dfam0lZU0zo3aeI-_Y60vmfGmJ4YiD7E>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_-DpcX8Y0<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_-DpcX8Y0&fbclid=IwAR1XmRdNyGOS9yaKJ3d5eN62Km1EhvFjfjnG8mf6-xY3V1Rw1lE2pWE1lOk> (this one is about hosting your own event, but it gives you an idea of what kinds of feedback to provide and how to be a virtual volunteer)
3. Apply to help translate documents with Translators Without Borders: https://translatorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/<https://translatorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/?fbclid=IwAR0u_ejUKrhQ11VwLemPXGX7oAuoXUyN85lIxVDij-0SmXFOJQ9ym-hbrZM>

4. Volunteer to help people who are blind or visually impaired: https://www.bemyeyes.com/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bemyeyes.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1NTLLxIRfBaSP1cgQfyZoIGoyFnl_Ac2RgDzR-O8lpk3-ZQEbLhXScieo&h=AT1Br--XL84KFSQMtrp7CL6pU5lUpKybwbNyS77IEaGjc1Rzj79xwY7Eh9jndRko3HEM2lt07w1jNAXSjzlhoYPFO3oimWVahfHR2ydOdlggzgfcQ6V_vZkcqFlefFmR>

5. Help record audio books for books and materials created prior to 1923: https://librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Flibrivox.org%2Fpages%2Fvolunteer-for-librivox%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2BZ3mNd_1KUzoLNx8PZrsB7G664nB87h6fl6le4GGD2ptFVrHhkVxUzO0&h=AT0dOU7wnTDz4BaoxAsVhAaRd0Lk4e9Ellg2FxcNUGfIVEphKhfObdzuWm3H_JlTq3ufNZWUWYvgKA_HRA3pX0vs6vR-N6kzi0iFAGyqIzby3pq7RhNGTNH-ICFz-izo>

6. Become a volunteer listener:
https://www.7cups.com/lis.../become-a-volunteer-listener.php<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.7cups.com%2Flistener%2Fbecome-a-volunteer-listener.php%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0w9gh_ax3jB2zrpmalYc6z7V7Abr2MkQKjgI6JPYHqmuTAkL20B8jOn5M&h=AT1ZcuQ0nKszpAhqNFQ_eSCVmoIvL1-DSV0xkZHnI1QG-p3riNnj08CxBW6DhqiqHR9QeEkNKV9gIN9geJr2huG8rCowlqqFdnGCVccgq3Gsxhfqk9TfSU7h-NxXoXRa>

7. Volunteer with the Zooniverse doing scientific research online: https://www.zooniverse.org/get-involved<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zooniverse.org%2Fget-involved%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3vY8MjjvTgzZjRkTjkqFWHi34gxk0CLBt3mJgLmy6cw9Zeyw8p5EgzQkQ&h=AT1l0FEo7qi9Upe2iZJfvCTKx-5qqEUDq9dsSr4Qs2bLMsz6U-3zBFne54xYvGDHcgQD9OtgmUORAozaEaLCQxmUHwHJ6pkYqHapK2zxHFFWQmmDF50F8wacId7SW58z>

8. Help proofread online books with Project Gutenberg:
 https://www.gutenberg.org/.../Gutenberg:Volunteering_for...<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gutenberg.org%2Fwiki%2FGutenberg%3AVolunteering_for_Project_Gutenberg%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3OXU0APHBLawnNB_EmAH7ZzJG9jK99r2224R4p6HQ3ukRLUtFSJT4UL7E&h=AT2Wff288PxqvaMzxwVN3B6cpGEDwYR0j1TIPaNmjhdYXvkdj-9TqL48tFaEQu1jPwDKMRoJDNv6X_Z2S3GgHIXOGOk2qijfTMoNYC1r0BdxqpEgAeWZIr3BtmHCDWa8>

9. Translate documents for the Smithsonian: https://transcription.si.edu/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftranscription.si.edu%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3Z54zf2mvv8JCrlZjyMHUYAIwiQCsOdbSWks2yAQfxC_R_EQkmNbVyVGI&h=AT2Xb3CBUim-yykm57SJ4YvwiRDsePonE9-yfUy5qAGbRRF-9HcaRGkhpy07zT8oShm0-8QdfN_3tJewCvaCY8AAjFJubxAsHsZo1O5kmEWjakbBjhALvWpuI_7fcA8d>

10. Help the National Park Service test their web applications: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/digital/getinvolved.htm<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fsubjects%2Fdigital%2Fgetinvolved.htm%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3Z54zf2mvv8JCrlZjyMHUYAIwiQCsOdbSWks2yAQfxC_R_EQkmNbVyVGI&h=AT2pRFbjq2pbyYH0T04kE-lZwTTuJOFPInOFB7WayY6v1Ts_Z1gnqjI8_IH-hcdJzOuR4ejiu3caLCk3LVd5mcHJhJ8I5bWfDQm5t_LEZ_anWtdWYdwj2L4XBNxAbFxC>

11. Help researchers study cyclones: https://www.cyclonecenter.org/#/about<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyclonecenter.org%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2m7UnyO4xMjfycGPMApkMV2aJVh_ih16DrcovAxeOkuLkNZTbnuUOlk4Q%23%2Fabout&h=AT3SJ2cgF54t5i25XToDtIye0GpHFtteSw-S1fBoNUNan3b9rQm3gcbdURNarDphhXvKUItrbG1wXwDQQ6JzfWlzuISO-7dUGH_5KRdHWaJ6DJAxul9DUxFJSKlcnylc>