[OSU-SLSR] SLSR for 11/18/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Mon Nov 18 15:30:07 EST 2013

[cid:image001.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]

Ohio State Service-Learning News
Seeking Service-Learning Stories For The 2014 President's Honor Roll The Service-Learning Initiative is participating in a workgroup with the Office of Outreach and Engagement and the Office of Student Life to complete our university's application for this year's President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. We are looking in particular to highlight service-learning projects that are facilitated by strong community-university partnerships. Programs chosen for inclusion in the application will also be included in a university-wide report on service and volunteerism at Ohio State. You can see last year's report here: https://go.osu.edu/ouryearinservice For more information on the President's Honor Roll and how you can be included, please check out https://go.osu.edu/phr or email us at slearning at osu.edu<mailto:slearning at osu.edu>.

S+GE Information Session The Service-Learning Initiative invites you to an informational session to discuss the General Education Open Option for service-learning courses. The session will take place at 9am on Friday, November 22nd in our conference space at 53 W. 11th Ave. The option allows approved service-learning courses to fulfill elective hour requirements for undergraduates. This will make service-learning courses a key piece of the undergraduate academic experience. Space is limited and your RSVP is requested. Contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

2014 Service-Learning Course Grant Program The Service-Learning Initiative is pleased to announce that, with the support of the Office of Undergraduate Education and the Office of Outreach and Engagement, we will be continuing our course grants program for 2014. We will be providing our full RFP and application at http://go.osu.edu/sligrants. You can also review our Prezi<http://prezi.com/3inltelsj8jn/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy> for a program overview. Grant proposals will be due at 4pm on  Friday, February 28th, 2014.

SP14 Service-Learning Course List Is Now Available Our 2014 Spring Course Listing is now available. We're excited to share that this Spring Semester will have 39 service-learning offerings from a variety of disciplines! You can view our course listing here: http://go.osu.edu/SLSpring14

Course Spotlight
COMM 4191: Columbus North International School Creates School Newspaper with Ohio State Mentors Last Spring, Nicole Kraft received a grant from the Service-Learning Initiative to bring students from the School of Communication as well as the French and Spanish language departments to Columbus North International school to collaborate on the creation of a school newspaper. The online newspaper contains articles in English, French, Spanish, and Chinese and students plan to provide new content once a week. You can view their ongoing work here: http://cnisnews.com/ We look forward to seeing what these students create!
CSTW 3467S The aim of this course is to prepare undergraduates to work with writers from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. This class provides an opportunity for its members to learn about composition theory and pedagogy, tutoring strategies, and Writing Across the Curriculum theories and practices. Students will then put these theories and practices to work as writing consultants/tutors in the OSU Writing Center, providing their peers with assistance in improving their writing. In addition, those students who successfully complete the course are eligible to apply for paid tutoring positions in the OSU Writing Center. This course is a unique opportunity to participate in service-learning that directly benefits a student's peers and the campus community. For more information, please contact Dickie Selfe at selfe.3 at osu.edu<mailto:selfe.3 at osu.edu> .

Resources and Opportunities
2014 Framework Faculty Fellow RFP The Office of Academic Affairs is seeking applications for the Framework Faculty Fellow. The fellow will be responsible for connecting faculty and students to learning opportunities that advance the One Ohio State Framework Plan<http://oneframework.osu.edu/>.  The fellow will lead a learning experience appropriate to their interests as they align with the Framework Plan. They will also develop a small grant program to support faculty in creating learning opportunities that engage with the campus.  Applications are due November 25th. Please see the attached document for further information.

Research Brief on the relationship between service-learning and "deep learning" The IUPUI Center for Service and Learning has released their first research brief, focused on the relationship between service-learning and "deep learning" outcomes using institutional data from the 2012 National Survey of Student Engagement. The research finds a positive connection between service-learning and deep learning, and provides evidence of service-learning as a high-impact teaching practice. You can view the brief here: http://csl.iupui.edu/doc/research-brief-sept-2013.pdf

International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement Now Available Online The first issue of the IJRSLCE has been released and is now available in PDF format on their website. This journal focuses specifically on research and scholarship around service-learning and community engagement. You can view the journal here: http://journals.sfu.ca/iarslce/index.php/journal/issue/current

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State

[cid:image002.png at 01CE3696.AD7FA0E0]