[OSU-SLSR] SLSR for 02/21/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:19:19 EST 2013

Ohio State Service-Learning News

Summer and May Session Course Lists Now Available The Service-Learning Initiative has posted our lists of courses that will be available for Summer 2013, as well as the upcoming May Session. The summer course list is available here:  http://service-learning.osu.edu/summer-courses.html The May Session course list is available here:  http://service-learning.osu.edu/may-session.html Please share them with friends and colleagues!

Outreach Grants Information Session on March 1st We will be partnering with Outreach and Engagement and Ohio State Extension to hold a joint information session for this year's Outreach and Engagement Grants. Grants of up to $4,000 will be available to support the development and enrichment of service-learning courses. This will be the final information session before the proposal due date of March 8th. For more information or to RSVP, please visit  http://outreachgrants.osu.edu/ .

 Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the "Spotlight" section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.
Service-Learning May Session Offerings We are excited to share that there will be two service-learning courses available to students for Ohio State's first-ever May Session. ECON 4194 will focus on the economic aspects of immigration and feature a service-learning component developing in partnership with the Friends of Summit Park. EDU PAES 5270 will focus on suicide awareness and prevention, and feature a service-learning component where students are placed with the Suicide Prevention Service to assist with the crisis line or with the OSU Suicide Prevention Program to provide REACH training to the Ohio State community. Learn more about these courses here: http://service-learning.osu.edu/may-session.html

Resources and Opportunities
Spring Edition of the International Undergraduate Journal Of Service-Learning, Leadership and Social Change Available Online This journal publishes articles, case studies, and reflections on service-learning and leadership from undergraduates. Read the current issue or browse the archive here: http://www.columbiasc.edu/service-learning-journal
Mobilizing to Feed a Hungry World: A Campus Call to Action Walsh University invites faculty and staff from Ohio State and other Ohio Campus Compact member institutions to attend a special event to discuss the role of universities in fighting hunger. The event will be led by Harriet Giles, managing director of the Auburn University Hunger Solutions Institute and director of external relations for the Auburn University College of Human Sciences. The event will take place at 7pm on Thursday, March 21st and is free for affiliates of Ohio Campus Compact member institutions. For more information or to RSVP, please visit their website: http://www.ohiocampuscompact.org/blog/2013/02/08/mobilizing-to-feed-a-hungry-world/
Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State