[OSU-SLSR] Service-Learning Scholars Roundtable for 02/04/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 4 12:22:25 EST 2013

Ohio State Service-Learning News

It's Not Too Late To Nominate A Colleague For An Outreach, Engagement, and Service Award  The deadline for nominees for the Outreach, Engagement, and Service Awards has been extended. Nominations are now due by midnight on Monday, February 4th 2013. We strongly urge all of our service-learning instructors to consider nominating themselves for this award and give us the chance to share your great work with the university community at large. We also encourage you to consider nominating colleagues or exemplary students for the other awards categories before the close of those nominations today. Nominations can be submitted here: http://go.osu.edu/oeawards

S-LI Spring Coffee Hour on February 15th  The Service-Learning Initiative will hold a Spring Coffee Hour at 9 a.m. on Friday (2/15) in the conference room at 53 W. 11th Ave. We will be discussing upcoming Service-Learning course grants, the S+GE Open Option, and other topics of interest to friends of service-learning at Ohio State. All are welcome. Please RSVP to Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<https://sn2prd0102.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=xnq6syrH-kKpJjedpESNukRckqVy1s8IeAaH04FQ0v0SfZBM48356tgW3G3sPE80VlskDJjgz9s.&URL=mailto%3ahcox%40esue.ohio-state.edu> if you are interested in attending.

Service-Learning Course Grants Proposals Due March 8th The Service-Learning Initiative is excited to offer our Service-Learning Course Grants as a part of this year's Outreach and Engagement Grants program. We will be providing up to $4,000 in support of developing and enriching service-learning in new and existing courses. Grantees will also participate in a Service-Learning Course Design Institute to develop course structure and content. For more information or to apply, please visit  http://outreachgrants.osu.edu/.<http://outreachgrants.osu.edu/>

Service-Learning Workshop Materials Now Available Online Materials from Designing Service-Learning Into Your Course and Service-Learning and Assessment are now available in the Resources section on our website. We would  like to thank UCAT for their assistance in facilitating these workshops for the Ohio State community, and we look forward to finding more opportunities to partner in the future. You can access the materials here:  http://service-learning.osu.edu/resources1.html

Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the "Spotlight" section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.
Inside Out featured in the Newark Advocate Inside Out (SOCIOL 2211) was the subject of an article for the Newark Advocate. Inside-Out courses at Ohio State Newark bring college students and incarcerated individuals together in a classroom setting to develop a partnership between institutions of higher learning and prison systems nationally. The article focuses on the course's closing ceremony and features quotes from students as well as the experiences of inmates, and discusses the transformative effects of the course for all who participate. You can view the article here: http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20121202/NEWS01/312020006/InsideOut-course-exposes-inmates-higher-education<http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20121202/NEWS01/312020006/InsideOut-course-exposes-inmates-higher-education?nclick_check=1%20> For more information on the course, contact Angela Bryant at bryant.74 at osu.edu.

Resources and Opportunities
Position Announcement: Executive Director of the Fitz Center for Leadership in Community, University of Dayton The Fitz Center for Leadership in Community is a national leader in university civic engagement and community based service. The Executive Director provides vision and leadership for the Fitz Center.  Duties and responsibilities include promoting collaboration with faculty members and academic programs, developing new and sustaining existing community partnerships, and effective stewardship of the center's resources. Applicants must have a record of success in developing and administering higher education programming for community engagement or civic engagement and successful experience working effectively in partnership with community-based, nonprofit organizations in urban settings. For more information or to apply, visit http://jobs.udayton.edu<http://jobs.udayton.edu/>    Application deadline is February 18th.
Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop Now Accepting Nominations This intensive professional development program provides advanced doctoral students and early career faculty with background literature, facilitated discussion, mentoring, and presentations designed to increase their knowledge and enhance their practice of community engaged scholarship. Participation is limited and interested applicants must be nominated to be part of this workshop. This workshop takes place in conjunction with the Engagement Scholarship Consortium conference in October. To learn more, please visit http://engagementscholarship.org/initiatives/emerging-engagement-scholars-workshop .

Campus Compact announces call for proposals for National Conference in Dearborn, Michigan Campus Compact seeks proposals for their national conference, The Engaged Campus: Driving Innovation Through Partnerships, May 19-21st in Dearborn, Michigan.  Campus Compact invites speakers and presenters who will highlight campus-wide, comprehensive partnerships that are changing the culture of their institution through innovation.  For more information, please visit http://www.compact.org/events/the-engaged-campus-driving-innovation-through-partnerships/ . Proposals are due on February 8th.
Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State