[OSU-SLSR] SLSR Update for 03/29/2012

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Thu Mar 29 18:41:38 EDT 2012

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD0CCC.F578AA80]

Ohio State Service-Learning News
Join us on April 5th to learn about Service-Learning in Graduate Professional Education Are you interested in implementing a service-learning curriculum in a graduate professional education setting, but the challenges seem daunting? Then join the Service-Learning initiative for a webinar viewing and discussion on Friday, April 5th from 3:00 to 4:30pm in SEL 370. Guided by a Campus Compact sponsored webinar, we will explore the challenges and opportunities involved in implementing service learning in a graduate professional education setting. All are invited to attend. For more information, please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu.<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>

Please Complete the SLSR User Survey The Service-Learning Scholars Roundtable (SLSR) is the main way that the Service-Learning Initiative keeps in touch with our friends and colleagues at Ohio State. We want to make sure that when we send our weekly emails, we're providing you with the best resource we can. We'd like to see what you think of our work so far. We've provided a brief 4-question survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dDRLQ2tVYlpPU3doaG82S2lGRVRrTnc6MQ#gid=0 If you have a few minutes, we'd love to hear from you!

REMINDER:  Nominate a Colleague for the 2012 Ohio State Service Awards The Service-Learning Initiative is currently seeking nominees for the 2012 Ohio State Service Awards. These awards will recognize outstanding achievements in the fields of service-learning and civic engagement in the Ohio State community. Don’t miss this opportunity to recognize exemplary students, faculty, staff, student organizations, and community partners. Awardees will be recognized at our annual awards ceremony on May 16th, 2012. Nominations are due April 6th, 2012. Learn more at  http://go.osu.edu/serviceawards2012

The Service-Learning Initiative at the Indiana Campus Compact Service Engagement Summit 2.0 This Thursday and Friday, Ola and Harmony will be at Service Engagement 2.0, hosted by Indiana Campus Compact.  The  Indianapolis-based gathering will highlight emerging trends in service engagement in higher education. For more information, please visit  http://www.indianacampuscompact.org<http://www.indianacampuscompact.org/>. We’re looking forward to bringing back information and resources to share!

Service-Learning Course Spotlight
In order to help faculty and students make connections to upcoming service-learning courses, we will seek to spotlight a unique service-learning course in each newsletter. If you’re interested in having your course featured like this, please email us at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

AEE 530 Celebrates Food and Fiber Day On March 7th, Graham Cochran and his AEE 530 students celebrated their annual Food and Fiber day celebration. Students in his course learn about non-formal teaching methods, then use what they learn to plan and teach a unit to first grade girls during an event at the OSU Sheep Barn. This year, the AEE 530 students worked with two first-grade classes from the Columbus School for Girls. They prepared lessons to engage students in learning about science with a focus on food and fiber. The day ended with a wrap-up lesson and ice cream for all the participants. It was an exciting day for the first graders, the teachers, and the Ohio State students. To see some photos of the event and learn more about the student lessons, please visit  http://service-learning.osu.edu/aee-530.01-celebrates-food-and-fiber-day-03072012.html. Congratulations to Graham and his AEE 530 students on a successful event!

Resources and Opportunities

University of Mississippi seeks Director of MacLean Institute The College of Liberal Arts at the University of Mississippi invites applications for the position of Director of the McLean Institute for Partnerships and Community Engagement. UM is organizing and expanding the McLean Institute, which will become the university’s coordinating unit for community engagement and service-learning. The College is seeking an individual with an established record of accomplishment in the field of community engagement, including significant experience in service and service-learning development, administration, and assessment. For more information, please visit  https://jobs.olemiss.edu/postings<https://jobs.olemiss.edu/postings/529>/529

Multiple Positions Available at the National Youth Leadership Council The NYLC is a national organization that is dedicated to promoting service-learning as a strategy to engage young people as effective members of society. They are currently seeing Group Leaders, Assistant Group Leaders, and Resource Staff to support their annual National Youth Leadership Training. For more information, please visit  http://www.nylc.org/about/jobs.

New Issue of JHEOE The Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement is a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal that serves to advance theory and practice related to university community engagement. The journal is completely open access and available online. Articles include papers from the Engaged Campus National Initiative, studies of community-based scholarship, and articles in relation to research, practice, and policy. You can read the journal here: http://openjournals.libs.uga.edu/index.php/jheoe/index

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
Service-Learning Initiative

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Service Learning Update Footer]