[OSU-SLSR] Service-Learning Research Project Seeks Student Participants

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Mon Aug 27 08:22:32 EDT 2012

Hello, service-learning instructors:

Please read below about an opportunity for students to participate in a service-learning research project. Student information will be kept completely confidential, and students will be compensated for their time. Please forward the message below to your current students, and feel free to circulate this to other instructors and students that would be interested. People who are interested in participating or who need more information should contact Travis York at tty102 at psu.edu<mailto:tty102 at psu.edu>.

Thanks,
Harmony

Greetings!

I am writing today to ask for your participation in a study on low-income, first-generation college students who participate in service-learning. My name is Travis York, and I am a doctoral student in the Higher Education Administration program at Penn State University.

As part of my study I am inviting low-income, first-generation students to participate in an interview to discuss your service-learning experience.  By low-income, first-generation, I mean students whose parents have not attended college have an estimated annual income of $30,000 or less.  The interview will last about an hour and will be scheduled on your campus for middle to late September (2012).  As a small thank you for participating in this study you will receive a $10 gift certificate to a local eatery.  Preliminary findings of your interview will be shared with you for your review so that feedback can be provided to accurate capture your experience.  If you would like to participate in this study or would like more information please email me at tty102 at psu.edu.

I am conducting this study to learn more about the outcomes and experiences associated with participation in service-learning courses.  This study may significantly contribute to our understanding of experiences that both promote and hinder the success low-income, first-generation college students at American universities.

There is minimal risk associated with participating in this study, and you may withdraw from the study at any point.  In discussing your experiences as a student, you may become uncomfortable with difficult or challenging experiences that you have had.  You may elect to not answer any question(s) that makes you feel uncomfortable, and your identity and the specific institution you attend will be kept completely confidential in any reporting of data from this study.  This study has received approval from Penn State's Institutional Research Board (IRB Protocol ID: 38806).

You may also contact me via the email or phone number below with any questions.  Thank you so much for your time and consideration.  I hope to hear from you soon.  Should you choose to participate in this study the attached consent form will be provided to you at the interview.   Again, if you would like to participate in this study or would like more information please email me at tty102 at psu.edu.

Sincerely,

Travis York,
ABD Candidate for PhD
Email: tty102 at psu.edu