[OSU-SLSR] SLSR Update for 08/15/2012

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 15 09:54:44 EDT 2012

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.jpg at 01CD0CCC.F578AA80]

Ohio State Service-Learning News

Welcome Back Coffee Hour on September 13th  Please join the Service-Learning Initiative for a coffee hour at 33 W. 11th Ave at 9am on Thursday, September 13th 2012. We'll be celebrating our accomplishments from this year, and talking about our plans for the year to come. All are welcome. If you're interested in attending or need more information, please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>. We hope to see you there!

New S-Designation Guidelines for Semesters The conversion of quarters to semesters has given us the opportunity to re-assess our guidelines for the S-designation, a course listing suffix that shows service-learning content is offered. Starting this fall, there will be a new set of guidelines for service-learning courses and the opportunity for instructors to offer GE Open Option credits for S-designated courses. To help you plan for these changes, we will provide workshops and other informational materials in early Autumn. Please watch this space for more details.

Resources and Opportunities

SOCHE Call for Papers The Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) will join with this year's Ohio Teaching and Learning Conference to explore the theme of "Dewey's Dream and Teaching Naked in an Era of Transformative Technology". They seek proposals from higher education practitioners that will create opportunities for discussion and showcase teaching and learning practices across Ohio. The primary tracks will be Democracy and Education, Student Diversity, Transformative Technology, and Workforce Development. The deadline for proposals is September 4th. For more information, visit http://www.soche.org/images/ohio-tl-conference-call-for-papers.pdf.

The K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award  If you know of a great graduate student that is a leader in civic engagement, this is an opportunity for them to be recognized. This award recognizes graduate students who show exemplary promise as future leaders of higher education; whose work reflects a strong emphasis on teaching and learning; and who demonstrate a commitment to developing academic and civic responsibility in themselves and others.  A faculty member or administrator must nominate the student, with a supporting letter from a second faculty member or administrator. Nominations will be accepted until October 1st, 2012. We'd love to see a Buckeye win!  http://www.aacu.org/meetings/annualmeeting/AM13/CrossAward.cfm.

Service-Learning Course Spotlight

Course in Literary Engagement and Equality this Fall at Ohio State This course will  study arts-based pedagogical approaches to reading and literature education that support engagement with and interpretations of literary language, cross-cultural perspectives, social positioning, cultural identity and social justice issues. The course is open to MA and PhD students and will be offered on Saturdays from 9am to 3pm. Please contact Patricia Ensico for more information at ensico.4 at osu.edu<mailto:ensico.4 at osu.edu>.

Events

Progress and Promise at Urban Arts Space  Celebrating its 30th year, the Neighborhood Design Center  is a non-profit that embraces underserved neighborhoods and promotes aesthetics and intentional design.  Inspired by the talents of students from The Ohio State University and other institutions, this exhibition contains ideas for how to revitalize downtown Columbus. Projects in this exhibition range from signs to storefronts, gardens, streetscapes, and whole communities. This exhibit is at the Ohio State University Urban Arts Space (50 W. Town St, Columbus OH 43215) and will be on display until Saturday, August 11th 2012.

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
Service-Learning Initiative