[OOD-users] Question on scaling and performance

Franz, Eric efranz at osc.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:08:20 EDT 2018

Morgan,

Part of the reason for the small use of memory compared to number of users served is possibly due to Passenger killing worker processes after 5 minutes of inactivity, which means those Rails and NodeJS apps aren't all running in the background, just listening. A snapshot just now showed on our production node 60 running NGINX processes, 75 Passenger apps, 7.8 G memory in use.

So that is not the same as 400 users active at the same time.

Thanks,
Eric

---
Eric Franz, Senior Web & Interface App Engineer
Ohio Supercomputer Center
An Ohio Technology Consortium (OH-TECH) Member
1224 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212
email: efranz at osc.edu