[OOD-users] Looking for help applications failing to launch

Gabriel Stenger gabeks at umich.edu
Tue Jul 17 10:50:35 EDT 2018

We are trying to get Open OnDemand (OOD) set up and ran into what
appears to be a problem with the VNC configuration that OOD uses.

We have a test cluster set up.  If we start TurboVNC manually using
the following command

    vncserver :99 -depth 24 -geometry 1400x1024 -name TestAccount \
        -NeverShared -localhost

The VNC server seems to start fine, we can connect to it using RealVNC
Viewer via an ssh tunnel to both our login and to a compute node, and
we can run both MATLAB R2017b and Firefox without issue.

If we start a remote interactive desktop job using OOD and connect to
it using the OOD NoVNC viewer, we get a desktop fine, 'vanilla' X
applications seem to run OK, but both MATLAB and Firefox segfault at
startup.  In the case of MATLAB, it also segfaults even when starting
with no graphical component, i.e.,

$ matlab -nojvm -nodisplay

The last few lines of the trace are

[ 23] 0x00002b41730f3c06
bin/glnxa64/libmwmcr.so+00486406
[ 24] 0x00002b415fa7fe25
/lib64/libpthread.so.0+00032293
[ 25] 0x00002b415fd8c34d
/lib64/libc.so.6+01016653 clone+00000109
[ 26] 0x0000000000000000
<unknown-module>+00000000

Has anyone else had this problem and know what causes it?

Because we can start TurboVNC manually and run it, that seems to point
to something in the environment being created by the OOD session
manager being the cause.  I might have thought it was solely in the
X/Xvnc setup until we saw that it also segfaults when the jvm and
display are supressed.

Most of what I found about seg faults with MATLAB have to do with a
mismatched libstdc++.so.6 version, but since MATLAB runs fine outside
of OOD, I think that is not the problem.

Suggestions for how we might be able to trace the cause?

Please let us know if there is additional debugging information we can
provide.

Thanks,    -- Gabe Stenger