[Ohiogift] Davidson Institute eNews-Update: September 2020

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Wed Sep 23 11:56:22 EDT 2020

| Suscribe here!  |

|  View email in your browser  |

|    |

September 2020

|  Both the Davidson Academy Reno and Online 2021-2022 applications are now open. See below for more details!  |

What's New in Gifted Education

|    |

|    |

Announcing the 2020 Davidson Fellows
Meet the 2020 Davidson Fellows! Davidson Fellows have completed graduate-level projects or portfolios that have the potential to benefit society.
Join us for the virtual Davidson Fellows Scholarship Awards Ceremony, September 30, 5:00pm Pacific time.

Positive contributions to society made by the 2020 Davidson Fellows include:
   - Developing an approach leading to advancements in understanding gene functions in breast cancer research. (Annie Ostojic, Laureate, pictured left)
   - Applying a technique to improve the effectiveness of lung cancer treatments. (Maximilian Zhang, Laureate, pictured right)
   - Developing a technique to improve the effectiveness of coronary heart disease treatment. (Ethan Levy, Laureate)
   - Creating a new approach to pharmaceutical drug development using artificial intelligence. (Jacob Yasonik, Laureate)
   - Creating a literary portfolio exploring storytelling to preserve the identity of family history (Katherine Vandermel)
The 2021 Davidson Fellows application will open in November 2, 2020, with a deadline of February 10, 2021.  |

|   |

Study: Academic Acceleration has No Negative Long-Term Effects on Well-Being of Gifted Students

|    |

|  A recent longitudinal study of gifted students finds that there are no negative effects on their long-term well-being from academic acceleration, including grade-skipping, early graduation, and more. Despite some fears that moving a gifted student to a more advanced group of peers can lead to possible adverse consequences, this research, published in the Journal of Educational Psychology from Vanderbilt’s Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth, maintains that it is also important to consider the negative outcomes of holding the child back. Research News @ Vanderbilt >  |

Davidson News

|    |

Davidson Academy - One Unique School. Two Groundbreaking Campuses.
The Davidson Academy is a game changer for profoundly gifted students. The Academy’s classes group students by ability rather than age, offering a middle and high school level curriculum that is matched to their abilities, strengths and interests. Our unique approach to learning has attracted families from across the country and globe.

The  Academy offers two educational options specifically designed to meet the needs of the highly gifted – an online campus for those living anywhere in the U.S. and Canada and a school on the University of Nevada, Reno campus for local residents. Both options are centered on a dynamic academic environment where students thrive among their intellectual peers.  |

|  Apply Today!
The 2021-2022 applications are open for both the Davidson Academy Online campus and Reno campus! Visit the Qualification Criteria and How to Apply pages to read about the application process. The deadline to apply for both campuses is Jan. 31, 2021.   |

Why the Davidson Academy

|    |

|  The importance of small class sizes.
Small class sizes at the Davidson Academy allow students to engage with teachers and other students, building friendships and fostering a strong sense of community.

Your education should be personal.
Education at the Davidson Academy is specifically tailored to individual students. All students receive a personalized learning plan, which allows students to explore various interests and fields of study, while still meeting their graduation requirements.  |

|  We know gifted.
The Davidson Academy’s teaching methods and curriculum focuses on critical thinking skills and has sincere regard for the unique needs of individual learners. Teachers and staff are well versed in the needs of profoundly gifted students and every aspect of the Academy experience is molded to fit those needs. Each student's abilities, strengths, and interests are encouraged and supported.

Education should be fluid and flexible.
At the Davidson Academy, students aren’t restricted to grade levels. Instead, students learn based on ability, not age. This allows students to engage with and learn beside like-minded peers in dynamic classrooms at the Reno campus or through live, synchronous online campus sessions.

Your education should be limitless.
The Davidson Academy provides students the opportunity to access university courses or advanced studies under a dual enrollment agreement. Additionally, single course enrollments are available through the online campus.

For more info, please email outreach at davidsonacademy.unr.edu.  |

|  Davidson Academy Online Virtual Open Houses
Join us to learn more about this exciting online learning option on the following dates: Tues., Dec. 10, 4 p.m. PT; Wed., Jan. 22, 5 p.m. PT; Thurs., Feb. 6, 4 p.m. PT; Mon., March 9, 5 p.m. PT.  RSVP here >   |

Davidson Young Scholars

|    |

|  There should be no ceiling to your child's education. With the Davidson Young Scholars Program there won't be. The Young Scholars program is free to profoundly gifted students and their families and gives them the opportunity to connect and engage in a community that understands their needs. Families choose their level of involvement. From individualized support from a family consultant, including academic and college advising, to opportunities to interact with other Young Scholars during summer programs and much more, the Young Scholars Program sets students and their families up to succeed academically, emotionally and socially.  |

In the News

|    |

|  Thousands of individuals from around the world will come together November 12-17 for the National Association for Gifted Children's 67th Annual Convention, which will take place virtually for the first time. The largest gathering devoted to gifted education offers 200+ content-rich sessions in gifted education and the opportunity to network with gifted leaders, parents, teachers, and researchers.

UConn Researchers Lead National Collaborative Effort to Improve Gifted Education Programs - UConn's National Center for Research on Gifted Education (NCRGE) has been awarded a $5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education’s Institute of Education Sciences to examine and strengthen gifted education opportunities for underserved populations. (UConn Today)

Why Are Some Students Forgotten In Gifted Education? - A Texas A&M education expert says that traditional approaches to selecting children for gifted education opportunities over-identify students from privileged backgrounds. (Texas A&M Today)

Opinion: Gifted K-12 programs are broken programs - "Gifted programs are thought to be a measure to get ahead, but they unintentionally discriminate against minority children who could use them the most." (The Daily Iowan)

Opinion: Preserve and expand NYC’s successful G&T programs - "Decades of research and documented outcomes have demonstrated the benefits of supporting all students across the learning spectrum from those with learning disabilities to those who need acceleration. High-ability students are also students with unique needs who require support to reach their full potential." (Queens Chronical)

Iowa News - A growing number of students at Council Bluffs Community Schools are taking advanced classes to earn college credits in high school. The number has risen from about 1,100 students during the 2009-10 school year to more than 3,000 in the 2019-20 school year. (Daily Nonpareil)  |

|    |

Blog Posts
Book Lists for Gifted and Avid Readers - Whether you’re building a homeschool literature curriculum, supplementing a favorite subject, or just looking for fun reads, the following ideas may help you and your reader find your next book. (Davidson Gifted Blog)

Cultivating empathy and tolerance in our children and students - Gifted children often seem primed for empathy. How do we ensure that our children develop empathy and compassion, and learn to recognize their own biases? How do we help them feel safe, but also find outlets for expressing their values? (Gifted Challenges)

Distance Learning Advice from Educators for Parents of Gifted Children - Advice from Gifted Development Center staff. (NAGC)

Elementary Years for the Gifted - Patterns, Strategies, Encouraging Growth - Outside of the gifted world, it seems like everyone assumes that elementary school is the “easy” time. But many families have a rough go in elementary school. (Davidson Gifted Blog)

Searching for Gifted Utopia - What would the perfect school look like to you? Do you picture a public school with resourceful teachers and administrators? Do you picture a private school with rigorous academics?  (Davidson Gifted Blog)

Ten college planning tips: What families of gifted children need to know - Now, more than ever, it is essential to help your gifted child plan for college. See these essential tips to keep in mind. (Gifted Challenges)

See more on the Davidson Gifted Blog >  |

|    |

Podcasts
Dewey Rosetti Talks About Parenting Bright Kids who Struggle in School - A discussion on the science of individuality and how transformational it can be when we change our language and understanding about learning differences and come to understand that there is no such thing as average. (Tilt Parenting)

ADHD Essentials for Parents, with Brendan Mahan - Discussion on ADHD and time awareness, as wells as balancing screen time and remote schooling to dealing with anxiety and uncertainty surrounding Covid-19. (Tilt Parenting)

Twice Exceptionality + Cultural Diversity = 3e - Kids who are both 2e and from culturally diverse populations have been dubbed “3e learners” by Dr. Joy Lawson Davis and others. This discussion covers identifying these students and training educators to better help them reach their highest potential. (Mind Matters)

The Ethos of Creativity - This discussion covers creativity: defining it, and discussing ways to foster creativity in your kids or students. Are there connections between neurodiversity and creativity? (Mind Matters)  |

On the Web

|  The Davidson Gifted Database features resources to help students, parents and educators pinpoint gifted information, including the following selected articles:
   - Finding Someone to Evaluate your Gifted Child
   - Modifying Regular Classroom Curriculum for Gifted and Talented Students
   - Online Language Arts Program Comparison
   - Special Considerations in Gifted Identification and Assessment
   - Table of developmental milestones contrasting normal children with gifted children at 30% advancement
   - Testing and Assessment for the Gifted Child

In the Spotlight

|    |

|    |

Shiva Oswal, Davidson Young Scholar
In this COVID-19 world of social distancing and sheltering-in-place, Davidson Young Scholar, Shiva Oswal, engages kids through Live Action Role-Play (LARP). By drawing kids into the world of online Live Action Role-Play (LARP) - an activity that provides a safe, online outlet for the creativity and imagination of school kids of all ages – Oswal volunteers, designs, and leads weekly adventure game missions.

In partnership with Fanwar, Shiva creates “online LARP missions” that engage and capture the imagination of elementary and middle school kids. During these adventure missions, Game Master, Shiva acts as referee and mentor, while facilitating social interaction. This, in turn, helps kids cope with social isolation and mental health issues brought upon by the pandemic.

“Online LARP-ing results in happy and confident kids, full of wonder, who also get to practice conflict resolution, develop social skills, and make tough choices all in the midst of play,” Oswal stated. “It really is a win-win.”  Read more about Shiva >  |

Aishani Aatresh, Davidson Ambassador

|    |

|  Through my Ambassador project, I have the opportunity to tie together a variety of my interests in a platform that has the potential to make a difference in the educational realm. With Spark to Speak, I conduct weekly after-school sessions at a local YMCA, exposing elementary-age students to a variety of topics (using multiple sources/forms of media and discussion-based/hands-on learning), including current events, science, public-speaking skills and homework help. I focus on helping the students understand and analyze the topics and how the subjects matter to each student on a personal level, what opinions they form about each issue and why — hopefully instilling lifelong invaluable skills of curiosity and communication.  |

Noah Rubin, Davidson Ambassador

|    |

|  canCode is my community service project where I teach kids computer programming through an online software called Scratch. I harness kid’s love for video games while teaching them new skills in computer programming.  I have partnered with a local youth center - The Youth Activity Center of Boca Raton, to teach underprivileged students, train teachers, as well as pilot new curricula. I started canCode when I saw the gap in most traditional elementary schools - no computer programming logic introduction or instruction. Through canCode workshops, I can share my passion and inspire kids!  |

|  The purpose of the Davidson Young Scholars Ambassador Program is to foster learning and civic engagement through community service, volunteerism and leadership.  |

|  “What we need to do for gifted children is basically operate the same way we do at the post-secondary levels. If an undergraduate  wants to take a high-level course at a university and approaches the professor of that course, the professor would never ask how old they are. Rather, they would probe whether the student meets or can meet the prerequisites and, if they do, they allow the student into the course . . . There is really no age at which this philosophy is inappropriate . . . Why would we think we need to treat the intervening years differently?”

--Camilla Benbow, Vanderbilt University  |

|    |

|  If you have information to include in a future newsletter, please contact us at administrator at davidsongifted.org.

 If you have been forwarded this eNews-Update, and wish to receive future editions,
 sign up here.

 Davidson Institute for Talent Development
 Supporting our nation's brightest young minds
 Reno, Nevada
 DavidsonGifted.org
 administrator at davidsongifted.org

 To subscribe, visit the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update archive page.  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2020 Davidson Institute, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Davidson Institute9665 Gateway Drive, Ste. BReno, NV 89503 |