[Ohiogift] Latest National History Club News

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Fri Jul 31 13:22:51 EDT 2020

| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | July 2020 |

 America's Summer Roadtrip University of North Carolina Drew University

|   |

History Student of the Year     This Spring the NHC and George Washington'sMount Vernon again co-sponsored the "History Studentof the Year" prize. Each chapter chose a recipient forthis award, and s/he received an autographed copy of"Revolution Song" by Russell Shorto. This is the 16thyear of the partnership between Mount Vernon and theNHC to sponsor this prestigious award.  Mount Vernon is the most popular historicestate in America. The estate, gardens and farm ofMount Vernon totaled some 8,000 acres in the 18thcentury. Today, roughly 500 acres have been preserved16 miles south of Washington, DC, on the banks of thePotomac River. Visitors can see 20 structures and 50acres of gardens as they existed in 1799, as well as thetombs of George and Martha Washington. MountVernon welcomes over 1,000,000 visitors each year.  Explore Mount Vernon!   |

     Read The NHC Spring Newsletter     Click Here to Read!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Organization of American Historians
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| America's Summer Roadtrip |
|   |     Travel virtually across the country this August and through our nation's history with America's Summer Roadtrip. Starting on August 1 visit 12 historic sites in 12 hours for free!   This journey will provide unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to historic sites that will further your understanding of how our country was founded and the history behind the people who helped to shape it. Visit such sites as The Rebecca Nurse Homestead in Massachusetts, The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Ohio, the Molly Brown House in Colorado, and more.    |
|   | Register Today to Secure Your Spot! |
|   |

| University of North Carolina |
|   |     Although historians can study anything that has transpired in the past, in practice we choose topics, eras, people, and events that reveal insights about the present and offer inspiration for the future. History illuminates the breadth of human possibility, keeping alive and interpreting for our own time the tribulations and triumphs of women and men both renowned and otherwise forgotten.   People across time and space have pondered the meaning of the past. Here at UNC, the study of history has been a cornerstone of the curriculum since the University's founding, although, appropriately, the Department's areas of focus, underlying values, and educational strategies have changed over time. Regularly ranked among the top history departments in the country, we combine prolific, cutting-edge research with dedicated, creative teaching and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.    |
|   | Visit the UNC History Department today! |
|   |

| Drew University |
|   |     Drew University has been called "a small Midwestern liberal arts college one hour from Times Square." But in terms of winning prizes for scholarship, its History department punches well above its weight. Prof. Edward Baring's book "The Young Derrida" actually makes Jacques Derrida understandable, and for that it was awarded the 2011 Morris D. Forkosch Prize for the best book in intellectual history. "The Legend of John Wilkes Booth", by Prof. C. Wyatt Evans, won the 2005 Avery O. Craven book prize sponsored by the Organization of American Historians. And Prof. Jonathan Rose's "The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes" (2001) won numerous awards, including the Jacques Barzun Prize in Cultural History and the Longman-History Today Historical Book of the Year Prize. In 2013 a Drew student, James Fargher, wrote a senior honors thesis that won the Phi Alpha Theta Prize for historical research - the top undergraduate history award in the nation. And most recently another student, Vincent Costa, was awarded the Undergraduate Essay Prize offered by the North American Conference on British Studies for his essay "'We Have a Special Way of Waging War': British Military Adaptations to Warfare in North America." (Contrary to what you may have taught in high school, Vincent shows that the British fought well and won most of the battles in the Revolutionary War.)   Students at Drew have ready access to major research libraries in New York City and Princeton. They also have an invaluable resource right here on campus: the United Methodist Archives. It's a treasure trove of documents, and not just about religion. It's also a resource for the history of colonialism, immigration, war, African Americans, women, American Indians, social reform, charity, education, and even old science fiction magazines. Drew also sponsors a History Club which offers a range of activities, from Student-Faculty Jeopardy to the US premiere of a new documentary film about Winston Churchill.   In addition to our BA program, Drew offers an interdisciplinary MA and PhD in History and Culture. Advanced undergraduates who are ready for a real intellectual challenge can (and do) take graduate courses, with the permission of the instructor.    |
|   | Explore the Drew History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |