[Ohiogift] Gifted education news - Davidson Institute eNews January 2020

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Jan 27 15:56:58 EST 2020

|    |

January 2020

|  The applications for the Davidson Academy, Davidson Fellows Scholarship and THINK Summer Institute are all open with deadlines approaching. See details below for each of these programs and apply today!  |

Whats's New in Gifted Education

|    |

Summer Program Options for Gifted Students
There are many factors to consider when deciding on a summer program for gifted students. Where is the program located? How will social/emotional needs be met? Residential or non-residential? Good summer programs provide gifted students challenging opportunities they may not have access to during the school year and meet a variety of interests. See these Davidson Gifted Database articles for some excellent summer options:
   - Residential summer programs
   - Day camp summer programs
   - Summer programs listed by topics of interest
Browse the Davidson Gifted Database's entire list of summer programs. Please note that 2020 application deadlines for certain summer programs may be approaching soon. Also see the Davidson lists of scholarships for high school students and younger students.

If you know of a great summer program for academically gifted students, please let us know at admin at davidsongifted.org.

2020 THINK Summer Institute
Among the most academically rigorous summer programs is the Davidson THINK Summer Institute, which runs July 11 through August 1. Students can earn up to six college credits at this three-week residential summer program on the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno. To qualify, students must be 13 to 16 years old during the program and submit an SAT or ACT score. Tuition is $4,000 and covers course credits, books and materials, room and board, and the cost of planned activities. Need-based scholarships are available. Apply today - space is limited and the final application deadline is March 27!  |

|    |

Updates from Around the Gifted World

   - Belin Blank Center's Blog
   - Center for Talent Development (CTD) - Latest Newsletter
   - Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Blog
   - National Association for Gifted Children - NAGC Blog
   - Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG) - News & Events
   - Links to gifted advocacy blogs and other online publications

Davidson News

|    |

Davidson Academy - One Unique School. Two Groundbreaking Campuses.
The Davidson Academy offers two educational options specifically designed to meet the needs of profoundly gifted students – an online campus for those living anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, and a campus in Reno, Nev. for local residents. Both options are centered on a rigorous academic environment where students thrive among their intellectual peers. Academy classes are grouped by ability rather than by age, providing profoundly gifted students an educational opportunity matched to their abilities, strengths and interests.  |

|  2020-2021 Application Deadlines Approaching!
The 2020-2021 applications for both the Davidson Academy Online campus and Reno campus are still open! Visit the Qualification Criteria and How to Apply pages to read about the application process. The deadline to apply for the Reno campus is Jan. 31. The deadline to apply for the online campus is March 31.  |

|    |

|  Reno Campus
When should my child enroll at the Davidson Academy? Understand the Academic Benefits.

Personalized Learning Plan - Designed to deepen and strengthen the learning experience for all Davidson Academy students.

Individualized college and career guidance, leading to a diverse variety of outcomes.

Learn what makes us unique from firsthand accounts of those who know the school best in our Overview Video.   |

|  Online Campus
Students might live across the country, but they most definitely go to school together. A typical day in the life >

The benefits of online learning for gifted students - how does the Davidson Academy specifically personalize online education?

Stacy Hawthorne, Director of Online Learning at the Davidson Academy, offers her perspectives on the growing trend of online learning.

Full-time and single course enrollments available!  |

|    |

|  Davidson Academy Online: In-Person Regional Events
Davidson Academy Online In-Person Regional Events offer an opportunity to hear more about Davidson Academy's online campus. The events include presentations on admissions, curriculum, technology, and our vision. Attendees have the opportunity to ask questions throughout. Space is limited for each so please select the one that works best for your schedule. The following event dates and locations have been announced:
   - Tues., Feb. 4, 5:30 p.m. - Oakland, CA
   - Mon., Feb. 24, 5:00 p.m. - Austin, TX
See the Davidson Academy Events page for more detailed information, with more dates and locations to be announced soon! Please RSVP here.

Davidson Academy Online Virtual Open Houses
Join us to learn more about this exciting online learning option on the following dates: Thurs., Feb. 6, 4 p.m. PT; Mon., March 9, 5 p.m. PT. RSVP here >

Want to compare the different online learning opportunities offered by the Davidson Institute and Davidson Academy to see what’s right for your student? See this infographic!  |

|    |

2020 Davidson Fellows Scholarship Application
The 2020 Davidson Fellows Scholarship application is now available online. Young people 18 and younger have the opportunity to earn a $50,000, $25,000 or $10,000 scholarship in recognition of a significant piece of work in the categories of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, music, literature and philosophy, or a project that represents outside the box thinking. The application deadline is Feb. 12.  |

|    |

Davidson: Explore
Designed to be different than other online courses, Davidson: Explore offers rigorous, advanced, full-year middle school courses that are modeled off of expectations at middle school courses at the Davidson Academy. Students will be expected to work on asynchronous learning activities, such as reading, drafting essays, completing practice problems, assignments, etc. in addition to the hour spent in live-sessions each week. Apply today - the application deadline is March 31, 2020.

Compare the different online learning opportunities offered by the Davidson Institute and Davidson Academy to see what’s right for your student in this infographic!  |

|    |

Davidson Young Scholars
The Davidson Young Scholars program provides FREE services designed to nurture and support profoundly gifted young people and their families, including talent development, educational advocacy, an online community and the Ambassadors program. Young Scholars can also access annual get-togethers, two residential summer camps for 8 to 13 year olds and challenging online middle school courses. Applications are due the first of each month. See the Application Process and Testing Requirements pages.  |

Legislative & Policy News

|    |

|  NATIONAL - A grant to the Duke University Talent Identification Program (Duke TIP) will allow the program to expand its sustained engagement of academically talented students in grades 4-12 from traditionally underserved populations. The nearly $2.2 million grant was awarded by the U.S. Department of Education through its Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Program. Source: Duke Today

ARIZONA - A legislative panel recently recommended increasing funding for gifted education. Source: Arizona Capitol Times

IDAHO - While the Blaine County School District’s push to increase participation in its gifted program has shown progress, efforts to increase participation among underrepresented groups persist. Source: Idaho Mountain Express

NEW YORK - A committee of parents and teachers voted to phase out the gifted and talented track for future students at Public School 9 in Brooklyn, leading to a backlash among gifted advocates. Source: USA Today

TENNESSEE - A Tennessee school district has nearly doubled the number of students in its gifted programs, particularly those from underrepresented backgrounds, after adopting a universal screening approach. Source: Chalkbeat

WASHINGTON - With the Seattle school district planning to change its method of delivering gifted education – by teaching advanced students in separate classrooms – Sen. Jamie Pedersen has introduced a bill that would require school districts to develop individual learning plans for every gifted student before implementing separate classes. Source: Seattle Times

The Washington State Attorney General’s Office will not investigate a civil rights complaint a group of parents filed over the Seattle school district’s gifted program. The group recently filed the complaint claiming that the district is violating state law because it hasn’t made a “concerted effort” to address the racial imbalance of its gifted program. Source: Seattle Times  |

On the Web

|    |

Challenging Summer Options
Epsilon Camp is accepting applications on a rolling basis for profoundly gifted math students, ages 7-11. Epsilon Camp is a two-week, summer residential camp serving exceptional young mathematicians and their families through an intensive student program and parent workshop. Epsilon Camp 2020 will be held from July 19-August 2 on the campus of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

Admission season is on at MathPath, a four-week summer residential camp whose mission is to inspire and advance the most mathematically gifted middle school age students (11-14).  |

Featured Articles & Resources
The Davidson Gifted Database features articles, resources and state policies to help students, parents and educators pinpoint gifted information:

Selected Articles
   - Gifted children: Emotionally immature or emotionally intense?
   - Profiles of the gifted and talented
   - Special Education Process: IEP vs. 504 Plan
   - Tips for Parents: AP vs. IB - Which is best for my kid?
   - Tips for Teachers: Successful strategies for teaching gifted learners
Resources
Located in North Carolina, the mission of BRIGHTLinks is to create opportunities for emotional, social, and intellectual growth of profoundly gifted children, by offering recreational connection, intellectual engagement, and collaboration.

Innovation World is designed to awaken, inspire, facilitate and promote creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship in schools, and includes numerous STEAM resources.

Mackintosh Academy (Boulder, CO) is an independent, International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for gifted students in grades K-8.

Teach for Attention! A Tool Belt of Strategies for Engaging Students with Attention Challenges provides numerous strategies on teaching students with ADHD and other attention challenges.  |

|  These Davidson Gifted Database charts provide comparisons of popular online programs used by gifted students. These program can be utilized in a variety of ways; enrichment, tutoring, curriculum replacement, independent study, etc.
   - Online Math Program Comparison
   - Online Language Arts Program Comparison
   - Online Science Program Comparison
   - Online Foreign Language Program Comparison
   - Online Social Science/Humanities Program Comparison

In the News

|    |

   - This 3-Year-Old May Be Smarter Than You (New York Times)
   - Academic acceleration: When is it the right choice for your child? (Gifted Challenges)
   - Growing Up Generation Z and Gifted: Safe Spaces (NAGC)
   - A battle over gifted education is brewing in America (The Economist)
   - Bright & Early - A Story of Radical Acceleration (podcast) (Mind Matters)
   - Dr. Melanie Hayes Talks About Her Big Minds Micro-School and Education 2E Children (podcast) (TiLT Parenting)
   - What Life Is Like For A Child Genius (KJZZ)
   - How Do You Teach Parents to Advocate for their Child? (NAGC)
   - Mining for Gifted Students in Untapped Places (Education Week)
   - “Gifted Kids”: The Deception of Perfection (The Bottom Line)
   - The Gift of Advocacy (Gifted Challenges)
   - Where to start in the move toward diverse gifted classrooms (NPR)
   - Terry Roberts, PhD, Discusses His Book "The New Smart" and How Nurturing Creativity Will Help Children Thrive (podcast) (TiLT Parenting)
   - Looking Back - A Decade Ends and 2e Wins! (podcast) (Mind Matters)
Discuss these stories and more on the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.  |

Student to Student

|    |

Charlotte Marckx, Davidson Fellow Laureate
Empowering Learners to Challenge Themselves, Measure Progress and Successes Through Internal Ideal of Mastery

Charlotte Marckx of Bellevue, Wash. received $50,000 for her Davidson Fellows project, "The Pursuit of Mastery."   |

|  What kind of impact can your Fellows project, “The Pursuit of Mastery” have on society?
My project challenges people to redefine the way they view success, moving away from external validation and towards a journey of self-improvement. I believe that this could revolutionize the way people learn and develop their crafts, leading to greater achievements and greater fulfillment in their lives.

What are some of your short-term and long-term plans?
I plan to take advantage of all of the opportunities that are being offered to me as a freshman at the Colburn Conservatory in Los Angeles—weekly lessons and chamber coachings from world-class faculty, concerts at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, and collaborating with my peers that have come from all over the world to attend Colburn. Long-term, I plan to become the best human and violinist I can possibly be. I want to reach my full potential and have a fulfilling career that allows me to use my music to have a positive impact on those around me.

Please describe your academic setting and some positive experiences with mentors.
I was fortunate enough to live in a school district that had a very intense gifted program (Bellevue Public Schools). In high school, I took my academic classes at the public school and home-schooled my electives. This afforded me much more time to devote to practicing violin and made travelling for lessons and competitions easier to manage. I have been fortunate to have many mentors along the way.

My teacher Robert Lipsett is amazing!  He is completely devoted to the task of developing his students’ skills. I love the way he uses the word “perfect” as a goal for my violin playing! (Prior to this I had always been told “No one is perfect”).

My first violin teacher, Jan Coleman, is also a mentor to me. Although I moved to a different teacher in the studio when I got more advanced, Jan has been a great source of support--always attending my concerts and even traveling with me to competitions across the country.

In addition, I have an advisor through the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation named Patrick Wu. He is an inspiration to me not only because he devotes his life to making a difference in other people’s lives, but because he has a way of making me feel like I can accomplish anything!  |

|  “This additional parental responsibility - advocating for a gifted child - was unexpected, isolating and unnerving. There was no roadmap, no clear path, and certainly not a lot of support from the school. Then I stumbled upon a parent group that was starting... Frustrated parents, discouraged after years of witnessing the schools' watered-down gifted programming, shared stories, concerns, and eventually, strategic plans for change.”

--Dr. Gail Post, Gifted Challenges  |

|    |

|  If you have information to include in a future newsletter, please contact us at administrator at davidsongifted.org.

 If you have been forwarded this eNews-Update, and wish to receive future editions,
 sign up here.

 Davidson Institute for Talent Development
 Supporting our nation's brightest young minds
 Reno, Nevada
 DavidsonGifted.org
 administrator at davidsongifted.org

 To subscribe, visit the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update archive page.  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2020 Davidson Institute, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Davidson Institute9665 Gateway Drive, Ste. BReno, NV 89503