[Ohiogift] National History Club News

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Dec 16 18:46:43 EST 2019

For gifted ed students across Ohio:

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | December 2019 |

 Before and After Hofstra University Loyola Marymount University

|   |

7th Annual Lessons of Leadership Contest     Elected officials have always been called upon to make critically important decisions, ones that can determine the fate of their towns, cities, states and nations. With the next election in the not-so-distant future, the NHC and The HBE Foundation are pleased to presentthe 7th annual "Lessons of Leadership" contest, with a focus on political courage.  We invite middle and high school students from any school in the United States to select an elected official and describe how that person risked his or her career by making a decision that was at odds with public opinion.   Contest entries can be submitted in one of the three following formats:   An essay of no less than 500 words and not more than 2,000 words, supplemented with a bibliography and endnotes. Entries may be submitted in either of the following forms: 1) Microsoft Word document or 2) PDF document.   A documentary or PowerPoint presentation that reflects your ability to communicate your figure's importance, and also helps you develop skills in using photographs, video, graphic presentations, etc. Documentaries should not exceed more than 10 minutes, and sources used should be credited through a bibliography.   A website that reflects your ability to use website design software and computer technology to communicate how your historical figure influenced history. Your website should include a collection of web pages, interconnected with hyperlinks, that presents primary and secondary sources and interactive multimedia. Sources used should be credited through a bibliography.   All entries must be received by April 10, 2020. $5,000 in cash prizes (total) for the top seven submissions!  Read More About The Contest!   |

     Read The NHC Fall Newsletter     Click Here to Read!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Before and After |
|   |     The compelling, poignant true stories of victims of a notorious adoption scandal---some of whom learned the truth from Lisa Wingate's bestselling novel Before We Were Yours and were reunited with birth family members as a result of its wide reach. From the 1920s to 1950, Georgia Tann ran a black-market baby business at the Tennessee Children's Home Society in Memphis. She offered up more than 5,000 orphans tailored to the wish lists of eager parents---hiding the fact that many weren't orphans at all, but stolen sons and daughters of poor families, desperate single mothers, and women told in maternity wards that their babies had died.   The publication of Lisa Wingate's novel Before We Were Yours brought new awareness of Tann's lucrative career in child trafficking. Adoptees who knew little about their pasts gained insight into the startling facts behind their family histories. Encouraged by their contact with Wingate and award-winning journalist Judy Christie, many determined Tann survivors set out to trace their roots and find their birth families. Before and After includes moving and sometimes shocking accounts of the ways in which adoptees were separated from their first families. In a poignant culmination of art meeting life, many of the long-silent victims of the tragically corrupt system return to Memphis with the authors to reclaim their stories at a Tennessee Children's Home Society reunion . . . with extraordinary results.    |
|   | Purchase the Book Today! |
|   |

| Hofstra University |
|   |     The History Department at Hofstra University, located on a campus just 25 miles outside New York City, offers a variety of courses on the history of the United States, Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Through the study of history, students acquire the skills in critical analysis and communication crucial for professional success, as well as the knowledge they need as engaged citizens. History majors have pursued successful careers in many fields including business, education, law, and politics, and we mentor them individually. The Department has a lively student-run History Club as well as a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the National Honor Society for History.   History faculty members include several recent winners of major Fulbright and NEH awards for teaching and research. They are actively engaged in a vast range of projects including President Nixon's foreign policy, the diaries of a Japanese midwife in mid-twentieth-century Seattle, the cultural history of Naples, the history of soccer in Latin America, the eleventh-century Iberian kingdom of León, gender and conflict in modern Egypt, Jewish cultural production in fin-de-siècle France, and health care in the Deep South. They welcome opportunities for students to work as peer teachers or as research assistants and are happy to facilitate participation in study abroad programs across the world.    |
|   | Come vist the Hofstra History Department Today! |
|   |

| Loyola Marymount University |
|   |     A History degree at Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in the heart of Los Angeles, gives students the unique perspective offered by studying the past and by understanding how it is reflected and refracted in the present. The History Department offers courses on the history on a broad range of times and places and also allows students to focus their academic journey around a particular set of questions and issues through thematic concentrations. History concentrations include: Public & Applied History; Law, Politics and Society; Global Economies, Encounters, and Exchange; Race, Gender and Culture; or Environment Science and Technology. The LMU History curriculum is designed to train students to be alert, critical, and inquisitive, to be informed global citizens and effective decision-makers, and to follow their chosen career paths armed with knowledge, skepticism, empathy, and eloquence.   LMU History faculty reflect the international diversity of Southern California, as well as LMU's commitment to the teacher-scholar model. The History Department has a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the History Students Association, and a robust TA program. Students are encouraged to engage in careful and keen research, both in the classroom and out in the world through global immersion programs as well as various internship and research opportunities. For more information about the LMU History Department, please contact us or visit our website or follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).    |
|   | Explore the LMU History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |