[Ohiogift] National History Club News

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Sep 26 17:12:46 EDT 2019

| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | September 2019 |

 Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum Johns Hopkins University DePaul University

|   |

|      The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator  by Timothy C. Winegard   Dutton * Hardcover * 978-1-5247-4341-3 * 496 pages * $28.00   Dr. Timothy C. Winegard reveals how the tiny mosquito, roughly the size and weight of a grape seed, has determined the fates of empires and nations, razed and crippled economies, and decided the outcome of pivotal wars, killing nearly half of humanity along the way.   "The Mosquito is one of those (compound-) eye-opening books that permanently shift your worldview." -- Sam Kean, the New York Times Book Review   "It's an ambitious book that aims to deliver a tour of Western military history from antiquity to the jungles of Vietnam -- and an account of how one tiny arthropod repeatedly molded that history, thwarting generals, sickening peasants and popes, and killing billions of people. Timothy C. Winegard has pulled off this feat." -- Wall Street Journal   Educators: To request a free review copy, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.   For more titles, please visit www.randomhouse.com/highschool    |

     Read The NHC Spring Newsletter
          NHC Sponsors
   -  Agricultural History Society
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The Churchill Centre
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum |
|   |     The Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum is open 360 days a year for guests from around the world to tour the President's Birthplace, the Woodrow Wilson Museum, including the President's 1919 Pierce-Arrow limousine, and the Library and Archives. The Presidential Library sponsors educational programming for thousands of schoolchildren each year and hosts teachers' institutes, and a variety of other educational programs. The Presidential Library has a large collection of Wilson and Wilson-era documents, many of which can be accessed on the on-line digital archive.    |
|   | Visit the Museum today! |
|   |

| Johns Hopkins University |
|   |     The Johns Hopkins History Department offers students the opportunity to work intensively in the classroom and with individual faculty to discover the richness and complexity of history. At the undergraduate level, students begin with general courses, but progress quickly to courses that explore topics in depth and provide experience in researching, analyzing, and writing about the past.   The Hopkins History Department is the oldest PhD program in history in the United States and the recipients of our degrees hold distinguished positions in universities and colleges in this country and abroad. Graduate students work independently and with faculty advisers on reading and research in their fields of interest, while departmental seminars bring them together to discuss their research, forging a collegial intellectual culture.   The department continues to pioneer new areas of research. The department's particular areas of strength include history of the United States, Europe, Latin America, Africa, and Asia. Most members of our faculty focus on social, economic, intellectual, and cultural history. In addition to the department's long-distinguished concentration in the Atlantic world, it hosts clusters of faculty with common interests in transnational and imperial history; the history of gender and sexuality; African-American history; and the history of capitalism and political economy.    |
|   | Visit the Johns Hopkins History Department! |
|   |

| DePaul University |
|   |     The History Department at DePaul offers a full, rich curriculum in undergraduate and graduate education. In addition to its strong undergraduate (B.A.) program with its standard, public, pre-law, and secondary education concentrations, the department offers a minor in Museum Studies, an M.A. degree, and combined BA/MA degrees in secondary education, in journalism, and international studies. The Department offers courses in a broad array of historical topics, spanning geographic, chronological, and theoretical concerns. The Department is also closely linked to a wide variety of interdisciplinary programs within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, so students have many opportunities to pursue the ways that history intersects with other topics and interests. Courses are small, so students have contact with their professors, both in and out of class.   The department is dedicated to providing a first-rate experience to our undergraduate majors and minors and graduate students. An Annual Student History Conference featuring student papers is held in the Spring Quarter. The Department also sponsors career-related activities, a History Society, and a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the National Honor Society for History.   The department's roughly 35 full and part-time faculty are engaged scholar-teachers, committed to maintaining active scholarly agendas and integrating their research and teaching. Recent publications by faculty members include prominent books, chapters, and journal articles. DePaul history professors have received federal, state, private and university based grants in recognition of the value of their research.    |
|   | To find out more please visit... |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

|  |
| Try email marketing for free today! |

 |  |