[Ohiogift] Davidson Institute eNews-Update: December 2019

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Dec 5 12:35:29 EST 2019

| Suscribe here!  |

|  View email in your browser  |

|    |

December 2019

|  Both the Davidson Academy Reno and Davidson Academy Online 2020-2021 applications are now open!

Learn more about the Davidson Academy through in-person and online virtual open houses.
 See below for more details!  |

What's New in Gifted Education

|    |

2019 Davidson Fellows Award Ceremony in Wash., D.C.
Twenty young people were recently honored at the Davidson Fellows award ceremony for their work in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, music and literature. Davidson Institute for Talent Development founder Bob Davidson presented the awards at the 18th annual ceremony held at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. In recognition of their remarkable achievements, each of the 2019 Davidson Fellows received a $50,000, $25,000 or $10,000 scholarship.

2020 Davidson Fellows Scholarship Application
The 2020 Davidson Fellows Scholarship application is now available online. Young people 18 and younger have the opportunity to earn a $50,000, $25,000 or $10,000 scholarship in recognition of a significant piece of work in the categories of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, music, literature and philosophy, or a project that represents outside the box thinking. The application deadline is Wed., Feb. 12, 2020.  |

|    |

Broadcom MASTERS - STEM Innovation on Display
The Broadcom Foundation and Society for Science & the Public (SSP) recently announced the 2019 Broadcom MASTERS STEM competition winners. Winners include: Alaina Gassler of West Grove, Pa., who was awarded the top prize for designing a system that uses a webcam to make driving safer by reducing blind spots, and Sidor Clare of Sandy, Utah, for developing bricks that could one day be made on Mars, so that humans would not be required to bring materials in order to build there. Source: ScienceNews  |

New Report Finds Vast Nationwide Disparities in Gifted Services
A new Gifted Education Research and Resource Institute (GER2I) report (PDF) argues that schools are overlooking gifted students who would benefit from services, including large numbers of those from underrepresented backgrounds. Educators (and legislators) can act to: ensure that all schools identify gifted students; examine and improve rates of programming and identification in Title I schools; and, put into place equitable identification procedures and programming designed to develop and reveal talents among all children, especially those that have been underserved for generations. Source: The Hechinger Report  |

Davidson News

|    |

Davidson Academy - Online and Reno Campuses
The Davidson Academy offers two educational options specifically designed to meet the needs of profoundly gifted students – an online campus for those living anywhere in the U.S. and Canada and a campus located at the University of Nevada, Reno for local residents. Both campuses are centered on a rigorous academic environment where students thrive among their intellectual peers. Academy classes are grouped by ability rather than by age, providing profoundly gifted students an educational opportunity matched to their abilities, strengths and interests.  |

|  Apply Today!
The 2020-2021 applications are open for both the Davidson Academy Online campus and Reno campus! Visit the Qualification Criteria and How to Apply pages to read about the application process. The deadline to apply for the Reno campus is Jan. 31, 2020. The deadline to apply for the online campus is March 31, 2020.  |

|  "Interpersonal and instructional"
For more than a decade, the Davidson Academy’s free, accredited Reno campus has centered on interpersonal and instructional dynamics creating an atmosphere that is vibrant with intellectual energy and dialogue. The same applies to the Davidson Academy online campus. Beyond the advanced academics offered, Davidson Academy Online provides meaningful interactions with classmates and instructors that happen daily via regularly scheduled live, video classes. Online campus students have rich opportunities for socialization through our courses and extracurriculars. Students Meghana and Nate describe how.  |

|    |

|  At Davidson, Online students benefit from:
   - Live, synchronous sessions
   - Quality peer interactions
   - Small class sizes
   - Responsive, caring instructors
   - Guidance counseling
   - College planning
   - Personalized Learning Plans
   - Opportunities for socialization
Full-time and single course enrollments available!  |

|  Davidson Academy Online: In-Person Regional Events
Davidson Academy Online In-Person Regional Events offer an opportunity to hear more about Davidson Academy's online campus. The events will include presentations on admissions, curriculum, technology, and our vision. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions throughout. Space is limited for each so please select the one that works best for your schedule. The following event dates and locations have been announced:
   - Thurs., Dec. 12, 5:00 p.m. - Seattle, WA
   - Tues., Jan. 7, 5:00 p.m. - Phoenix, AZ
   - Fri., Jan. 10, 5:00 p.m. - Houston, TX
See the Davidson Academy Events page for more detailed information, with more dates and locations to be announced soon! Please RSVP here.  |

|    |

|  Davidson Academy Online Virtual Open Houses
Join us to learn more about this exciting online learning option on the following dates: Tues., Dec. 10, 4 p.m. PT; Wed., Jan. 22, 5 p.m. PT; Thurs., Feb. 6, 4 p.m. PT; Mon., March 9, 5 p.m. PT.
RSVP here >

Feature on Prominent Gifted Podcast
Stacy Hawthorne, the Director of Online Learning for Davidson Academy Online, and Dr. Jessica Potts, a professor at the Davidson Academy, were both interviewed on a recent TiLT Parenting podcast, The Davidson Institute on Supporting & Educating Profoundly Gifted Children.  |

|    |

Summer at Davidson
Spend some of your summer with Davidson! We offer opportunities for the whole family and students of all ages.
   - Davidson STARS Summer Camp*
 Ages 8-11: STARS offers Davidson Young Scholars the chance to attend a short, residential summer program with peers from all over the country.
   - Davidson REACH Summer Seminar*
 Ages 11-13: At REACH, Davidson Young Scholars focus on a single area of study with hands-on and project-based learning.
   - Davidson THINK Summer Institute
 Ages 13-16: THINK is a challenging academically-focused program for gifted students who attend two full courses at University of Nevada, Reno and receive college credit. Note: THINK participants do not need to be Davidson Young Scholars.
   - Young Scholar Summit*
 Family Event: During this weekend experience, Young Scholar families from all over the country connect with one another while enjoying special activities, workshops, and dynamic speakers.

 *To participate in STARS, REACH and/or the annual Summit event, learn how to become a part of the Young Scholar community.

Legislative & Policy News

|    |

| ARKANSAS - Two recent grants are designed to help improve the state's gifted identification process. Source: University of Arkansas

MARYLAND - The Carroll County school district has created a new position designed to better serve advanced students and oversee the gifted program. Source: Baltimore Sun

NEW YORK - In a recent letter sent to Mayor de Blasio, parent leaders representing some of New York City's top gifted programs criticized a recent task force recommendation to eliminate the city's gifted education program. Source: New York Post

WASHINGTON - The gap in math and reading test scores between Washington's high-flyers and lowest performers continues to grow, as Seattle school officials debate whether to end a specialized program for gifted students in favor of gifted programs at each neighborhood school. Source: Seattle Times - 11/13, 10/29

WEST VIRGINIA - A $630,000 grant from the Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Program is designed to assist West Virginia University researchers to improve identification of gifted students in the state. Source: Mineral Daily News-Tribune  |

On the Web

|    |

Challenging Summer Options
Application season has begun for Epsilon Camp, a two-week summer residential camp serving exceptional young mathematicians and their families through an intensive student program and parent workshop. Epsilon connects profoundly gifted children (ages 7-11) to professional mathematics and build a supportive community with peers and families. Epsilon Camp 2020 will be held from July 19-August 2 on the campus of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs.

Admission season has also begun for MathPath, a four-week summer residential camp whose mission is to inspire and advance the most mathematically gifted middle school age students (11-14).

Epsilon and MathPath, both founded by Dr. George R. Thomas, are independently run and differently organized enrichment camps where students advance in a non-competitive atmosphere.

|    |

Featured Articles & Resources
The Davidson Gifted Database features articles, resources and state policies to help students, parents and educators pinpoint gifted information:

Selected Articles
   - A Unique Challenge: Sorting Out the Differences Between Giftedness and Asperger’s Disorder
   - Frequently Asked Questions About Extreme Intelligence in Very Young Children
   - Tiered Lessons: One Way to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction
   - Vulnerabilities of highly gifted children
   - A Place to Start: Is My Child Gifted?
Resources
2eNews.com provides readers with high-level information and perspectives about twice-exceptional (2e) education and cognitive diversity. They cover a broad range of topics that are essential for all educators, parents, and industry professionals.

A Teacher’s Guide to Stick Up for Yourself! provides advice on teaching self-confidence and how to be assertive with easy-to-use sessions.

The American Academy of Medicine & Surgery (Maui, HI & Los Angeles, CA) provides a two week course of study for High School and Pre-Med students to initiate the steps towards mastering basic and advanced cardiothoracic surgery.

The newly updated second edition of The Complete Guide to the Gap Year: The Best Things to Do Between High School and College is the go-to book for anyone considering a year to recharge, to follow a passion, to become immersed in another culture, or to find their love of learning again.  |

In the News

   - How To Get Gifted Kids Talking (podcast) (Mind Matters)
   - Why some people are impossibly talented (BBC)
   - 'Twice Exceptional' Students Miss Out on Gifted Classes (Education Week)
   - Even Gifted Educators Say Their Classes Don't Reach All Who Need Them (Education Week)
   - Shining a Light on Bright Students (The High Flyer)
   - Gifted education in America is finally moving past its legacy of inequality (Quartz)
   - Stop Scapegoating Gifted Students for Inequality (Education Week)
   - Emotionally Supporting Children Through Difficult Periods (podcast) (TiLT Parenting)
   - Accurate Assessment for Twice-Exceptional Kids (podcast) (Mind Matters)
   - The Key To Raising Brilliant Kids? Play A Game (NPR)
   - Districts weigh cutting gifted programs as inclusivity lags (Education Dive)
   - The Contradiction at the Heart of Public Education (The Atlantic)
   - AP: Great for gifted high schoolers (The High Flyer)
   - Money over merit? New study says gifted programs favor students from wealthier families (Chalkbeat)
   - Gifted Does Not (only) Mean Smart (NAGC)
   - What many parents wish the "experts" knew about gifted children (Gifted Challenges)
Discuss these stories and more on the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.  |

Student to Student

|    |

Luke Gialanella, Davidson Ambassador

The purpose of the Davidson Young Scholars Ambassador Program is to foster learning and civic engagement through community service, volunteerism and leadership in highly motivated and mature Young Scholars. Luke's project is "GOVLEARN."  |

|  What are some past and present projects you’ve worked on to help make a positive difference in the lives of others?
In the past, during some Model United Nations programs and other academic programs, I have had the ability to participate in many donation programs, whether it be through money or household items that many underprivileged families don’t have access to. I hadn’t really gotten involved with community projects in a major way until my non-profit organization, GOVLEARN, in the summer of 2017. GOVLEARN hopes to provide easily accessible government and civics education through PDFs, videos, and blogs. I have also taught multiple in-person classes using my PDFs across the Greater Los Angeles Area, where I am from. I have had the pleasure to be a part of the Davidson Young Scholar Ambassador Program, which has helped me progress GOVLEARN. During the 2018 midterm elections, I got involved with some political campaigns and outreach programs. I plan to do the same in the 2020 presidential election.

How has the Young Scholars program helped you to reach your goals and achieve your accomplishments?
I became a Young Scholar when I was 5 years old. Since that time, I have made wonderful friends and lasting connections. I enjoy participating in social events through my local Young Scholar group. We do things like get together for board game night and play Dungeons and Dragons. Meeting local friends through the Young Scholar program has provided me with some of my closest friends. Additionally, I enjoy attending the yearly Summit where I have a chance to engage with peers throughout the country.

What are some of your short-term and long-term plans?
In terms of GOVLEARN, I plan to expand my curriculum and teach at more schools and homeschools around my city, and then hopefully expand to the entire state of California. I start high school in the fall, which is set to be a pretty large change around my household, but not an unwelcome one. I plan to get involved with programs such as Model United Nations and Debate at my school. I hope to intern for my congressman, Ted Lieu, and hopefully with other political officials, candidates, and organizations. In the future, I hope to pursue higher education in the field of political science, political theory, international relations, public policy, and possibly law. However, I have a long way to go and I can’t wait to see the changes that will be made to this fragile plan. After all, a few years ago, I deeply wanted to study in the field of zoology, so things can change!

What got you interested in government and politics?
I was always pretty interested in geography and history. Then I visited Washington, DC over spring break with my family when I was 9, and became instantly infatuated with the entire subject of American politics. It amazed me how the fates of millions of Americans were decided in one room by one handful of people. I began self-studying the entire subject in my free time, because there was no political education at my school (later adding to my idea of GOVLEARN), and soon the 2016 presidential election was starting. Ever since, I have been passionate about the subject and hope to pursue it in the future.  |

|  “Gifted programs have been under attack, especially in urban districts, where critics argue that eliminating advanced programs is the best path to achieve greater equity . . . But equal lack of opportunity is a strange approach to equity. We need to expand availability and access, not eliminate services. Researchers and educators have identified and implemented a range of pro-equity strategies that provide opportunity to all students, including the use of universal screening using local norms, use of flexible ability grouping, and culturally responsive teaching and assessment strategies. The research is clear: This is a solvable problem!”

--Jonathan Plucker, President of the NAGC Board of Directors  |

|    |

|  If you have information to include in a future newsletter, please contact us at administrator at davidsongifted.org.

 If you have been forwarded this eNews-Update, and wish to receive future editions,
 sign up here.

 Davidson Institute for Talent Development
 Supporting our nation's brightest young minds
 Reno, Nevada
 DavidsonGifted.org
 administrator at davidsongifted.org

 To subscribe, visit the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update archive page.  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2019 Davidson Institute, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Davidson Institute9665 Gateway Drive, Ste. BReno, NV 89503