[Ohiogift] upcoming online courses for this summer

Croft, Laurie J laurie-croft at uiowa.edu
Wed May 22 11:15:21 EDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to remind you of our upcoming online opportunity for professional development!  We have one class underway: Teaching Outside the Lines, focused on Doug Johnson's book by the same name, thinking about creativity in the schools today.

Our next class is EDTL:4096:0WKB, Topics in Teaching and Learning: Common Core State Standards for Gifted/Talented: English/Language Arts. This class begins on May 28 and continues through June 17, and it's an important option for those who collaborate with classroom teachers or include ELA in their gifted programs.  This class helps you conceptualize the alignment of CCSS with classroom activities and assessments-WHILE differentiating the classroom for high-achieving students.  This class will use a book published as a service publication of NAGC's, and edited by Dr. Joyce VanTassel Baska (Using the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts with Gifted and Advanced Learners) and benefit from the expertise of the instructor, Gwen Livingstone Pokora.

You can read the National Association for Gifted Children's page about Frequently Asked Questions about the Common Core and Gifted Education<https://www.nagc.org/resources-publications/resources/timely-topics/common-core-state-standards-national-science-0> and review their main points about aligning standards (even if they're NOT CCSS and might be a state-based version) to gifted education programming standards.  If you, or administrators and colleagues, wonder about the need for a class like this, review and / or share the NAGC Position Statement about the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards for Gifted and Talented Students<http://www.nagc.org/sites/default/files/Position%20Statement/Common%20Core%20and%20Next%20Generation%20Science%20Standards.pdf>.

Some of your schools may have or may still believe that the use of standards has made curriculum more challenging for ALL of your students-meaning the gifted program doesn't really have to facilitate more challenging curriculum-but we know that's NOT true.  Perfect your "elevator pitch" with this online only class beginning on May 28 (next week!).

We have two additional ELA-focused workshops as part of our 2019 Belin-Blank Chautauqua (the second flyer attached to this message).  Chautauqua offers classes that meet for two days on campus, typically providing materials online through our ICON platform, as well as a project uploaded online after the meeting on campus:

EDTL:4096:0WKD Topics:  Writing for High Ability Learners, Jul 12 - 13, on campus;

EDTL:4096:0WKE Topics:  Bibliotherapy for the Gifted, Jul 17 - 18, on campus.

We also are offering another fully online class focused on the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics from Jul 17 - August 6:

EDTL:4096:0WKF Topics:  Common Core State Standards for Gifted/Talented:  Mathematics.

We welcome you and your colleagues to these and our other very focused professional learning opportunities over the summer!

You can learn more about these at belinblank.org/educators<https://belinblank.education.uiowa.edu/Educators/Courses/>.  Follow the link to "Register" for information about registering as a Distance and Online Learner (non-degree seeking)-you can even register as an undergraduate with the lower tuition rate of $324 if the graduate tuition won't help you progress on your salary scale.  The full summer schedule is here:  belinblank.org/educators/courses<https://belinblank.education.uiowa.edu/Educators/Courses/schedule.aspx>.

Let me know if you have questions!

Laurie

Laurie J. Croft, Ph.D.
Clinical Professor, Teaching and Learning

Associate Director for Professional Development
The Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank International Center
  for Gifted Education and Talent Development
600 Blank Honors Center
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-0454
319/335-6148  800/336-6463
Fax 319/335-5151
e-mail:  laurie-croft at uiowa.edu<mailto:laurie-croft at uiowa.edu>
http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank

Follow us on Twitter @belinblank or @LCroft57

Nurturing Potential | Inspiring Excellence