[Ohiogift] National History Club News update - Feb. 21, 2019

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Feb 21 16:54:11 EST 2019

| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | February 2019 |

 Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles Baylor University Coe College

|   |

|      Underground: A Human History of the Worlds Beneath Our Feet  By Will Hunt   Spiegel & Grau | Hardcover | ISBN: 978-0-8129-9674-6 | 288 pages | $27.00   An exploration of the history, science, architecture, and mythology of the subterranean landscape and our relationship with the worlds beneath our feet---for fans of quirky, obsessive narrative histories, such as Confederates in the Attic and How Things Work.   "Always entertaining . . . This brisk work, rife with intriguing characters and little-known traditions and communities, will leave many readers wanting to dig deeper into the worlds hiding beneath their feet." -- Publishers Weekly    Educators: To request a complimentary examination copy to review for classroom use, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.    |

       Read the Fall NHC Newsletter!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  Agricultural History Society
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The Churchill Centre
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles |
|   |     It was in December 1872 that Jeremiah Sweinhart advertised the opening of his new carriage factory. It was advertised in The Boyertown Democrat newspaper, a bilingual publication. The town itself, Boyertown, Pennsylvania, was a town built quite literally on iron ore mines and foundries. Now Mr. Sweinhart was leading it into a new industry---vehicle manufacturing.   In the 1880's, Sweinhart sold the business to some of his employees. The carriage factory underwent several name changes until 1926, sometimes being named after its current owners, but more generally as the Boyertown Carriage Works. In 1914, the company built its first truck body. It was a simple wood box built on the back of a Ford Model T Roadster.   The Boyertown Carriage Works continued to dabble in truck body construction until 1926, when three gentlemen purchased the company and changed the name one last time to Boyertown Auto Body Works. As the company grew, one of its officers, Paul Hafer, began to take notice of its unique place in the history of Pennsylvania's road transportation. He and his wife Erminie began to collect Boyertown-built carriages, sleighs, and wagons, as well as some of the early trucks built at the Body Works. In 1965 they opened their collection to the public.   Today, the Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles is housed in a former factory building of the Boyertown Auto Body Works, which closed in 1990. It also includes that original 1872 Jeremiah Sweinhart Carriage Factory building. The Museum displays over ninety road vehicles of all types, the vast majority of them built right here in Pennsylvania. These unique and rare cars, trucks, bicycles, motorcycles, carriages, and wagons are displayed along with two excellent examples of roadside architecture---a 1921 Sun Oil gas station and a 1938 diner. Together, it all combines to tell the story of how we move, and how we have changed along the way.    |
|   | Find out more information! |
|   |

| Baylor University |
|   |     As noted biographer, David McCullough, said in his 2016 lecture at Baylor, "history is an extension of life." The renowned faculty of the Baylor University Department of History take McCullough's words as a challenge to not only teach the facts of history, but to turn them into lessons applicable to life. Every effort is made by the faculty to open students' minds to the wonders of the past so that they might see a glimpse of their futures.   Whether you are interested in the history of the Greeks and Romans, the Renaissance and Reformation, Military or Women's history, or Religion and American culture, the History Department offers students a wide variety of courses from which to choose.   Our undergraduate Spring 2019 History Courses Brochure is available here and on Issuu.   Majoring or minoring in history opens up an array of possible careers for students after graduation because the study of history provides a critical knowledge of the institutions and values of the world in which we live. Moreover, an understanding of the past can influence one's ability to respond intelligently and effectively to the problems of the future.    |
|   | Visit the Baylor History Department |
|   |

| Coe College |
|   |     At Coe College, history students benefit from the liberal arts experience on campus, as well as the wonderful opportunities in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and beyond. At a liberal arts college like Coe, students know their professors and vice versa. Professors advise students closely, read their work carefully, and are committed entirely to giving them the best undergraduate history education possible. Students learn what historians do and practice it, too. After four years of invigorating study, Coe College history majors are ready for their next steps, whether to graduate or law school, into high school classrooms or historical museums, or on to careers in businesses that recognize the growing importance of making connections, communicating clearly, and finding and organizing information (like history majors do).   Coe History students take full advantage of the college's setting in Cedar Rapids and its connections to the world. Students have both an abundance of internship opportunities and the college's connections to make them happen, at places like the National Czech and Slovak Museum, the African-American Museum of Iowa, and the Linn County History Center (all within two miles of campus). Further afield, Coe students have abundant off-campus study opportunities in exchange programs throughout Europe and Asia, and during Coe's May Term Program, when students and faculty travel and study in places like Italy, Ireland, South Africa, Korea, and Vietnam. Whether on campus or around the globe, Coe is a great college through which to study history and our world!    |
|   | Find out more information! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |