[Ohiogift] National History Club News Update

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Fri Sep 30 10:53:03 EDT 2016

National History Club News
a partner of HISTORY®	September 2016

Marquette University

OneVote

University of Iowa

Alexander Hamilton's Guide to Life, by Jeff Wilser
An entertaining look at the life and wisdom of Alexander Hamilton, the Founding Father who mastered the arts of war, wealth, wit, and women, long before becoming the subject of the runaway Broadway hit Hamilton: An American Musical.

"As a history teacher, I find that my students often have a difficult time understanding the Founding Fathers, with their white wigs and passion against a king so far away. But in Jeff Wilser's Alexander Hamilton's Guide to Life I've finally found a way to relate history to my students. It is by far the best book I've ever found to teach Hamilton, as well as the establishment of our government. Students will learn how Hamilton's thoughts and ideas can be used in their own lives, and for the first time, they actually be able to understand a Founding Father. And they'll love the humor along the way!" - Jennifer Norato, State Chairman, Community Classroom Committee, New Jersey Daughters of the American Revolution

Three Rivers Press ★ HC ★ 978-0-451-49809-0 ★ 240pp. ★ $16.00/$22.00 Can. EB: 978-0-451-49810-6 | Also Available in Audio

Educators: To order an examination copy, click here.

Start a History Club Today!

Click here to learn how to join the NHC

 NHC Supporters
ACLS Humanities E-Book
Agricultural History Society
Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
Centre for International Governance Innovation
George Washington's Mount Vernon
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
HISTORY
History News Network
History 500
Laurel Hill Cemetery
Maryland Historical Society
Museum of Florida History
National Council for History Education
National Museum of American History
National Vietnam War Museum
National World War II Museum
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
Organization of American Historians
Phi Alpha Theta
Society of Architectural Historians
The Churchill Centre
The Concord Review
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
World History Association

Marquette University

In addition to offering regular BAs, MAs, and PhDs in American and European history, the Marquette University History Department has recently begun to expand its internship program and to offer courses that feature digital humanities.

In fall 2015 the department co-sponsored an event with Marquette libraries that brought nationally known experts on digital humanities to a one-day workshop with faculty and students. A second event is being planned for fall 2016. Students in our courses on the Civil War era, modern Ireland, and Native American history produced digital projects that integrated primary sources with mapping software, textual analysis, and social media. Gray Brechin delivered our annual Klement Lecture on his digital media project, "The Living New Deal," while our 2nd Annual Phi Alpha Theta lecture featured Sarah Bond and Tom Keegan of the University of Iowa, who spoke on "Meeting Places: Maps, Manuscripts and Making Digital Humanities Collaborative."

Public history students, in collaboration with the Milwaukee County Historical Society, produced websites, videos, quizzes, and an interactive map to accompany the Society's "Brew City MKE" exhibit, while history interns helped produce a weapons exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum; processed documents at the Marquette University archives and a collection of campaign buttons at the MCHS; and produced a map of the Near West Side (Marquette's neighborhood) featuring all 900 businesses found in the 1923 city directory.

Additional courses will integrate digital humanities in 2016-2017, while public history students will once again collaborate with the Milwaukee County Historical Society on their spring exhibit on "Music in Milwaukee."

	Visit the History Department!

OneVote

Channel One News' OneVote is an interactive program structured to help students learn, understand, and participate in the presidential electoral process. OneVote gives middle and high school students a platform to voice their opinions and thoughts throughout the campaign and culminates in a mock election where hundreds of thousands of students are expected to vote! In each of the previous five OneVote mock elections, students have accurately predicted the next president!

Voting occurs during one week only, October 17-21, 2016 with our Channel One News "Special Edition" results show on October 25, 2016. Onevote.com has available resources to help your school hold a mock election, including a Mock Election Guide, lesson plans, downloadable ballots, posters, and more! Schools will be able to see how their individual school voted!

	Learn more about OneVote!

University of Iowa

Welcome to the University of Iowa History Department! We hope that you share our enthusiasm for the study of past societies and cultures. What are the origins of the world in which we live: its economy, its social and political organization, its many diverse cultures? What lessons can we learn from past societies' efforts to resolve their own challenges?

Students of history cultivate an understanding of change - how it happens and why it happens the way it does - that enables them to engage the world they inhabit. History students develop a global consciousness that helps them to navigate the streets (and the news) from Iowa City to Berlin to Nairobi. Employers value history students' ability to analyze human and social behavior, to research pressing problems, and to express themselves clearly. Graduates of the UI History department occupy prominent positions in government, education, business, journalism, law, entertainment, the medical professions, and the non-profit sector. In fact, a recent study showed that History BA's earn more than graduates in any other humanities field.

In addition to teaching, our faculty members do cutting-edge research. That research finds its way into teaching materials, books for scholarly and popular audiences, digital collections, news reporting, legal briefs, policy-making, museum exhibits, film and TV documentaries, and more. We're often called upon to advise journalists or policy makers who want to make sure they're getting their facts right - and who also want to make sure they're analyzing and contextualizing those facts correctly.

To learn more, please visit our webpage or visit one of our pages on Facebook!

:: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org
:: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org

National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144