[Ohiogift] National History Club News - September 2015

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Sep 21 10:35:59 EDT 2015

 National History Club Newsa partner of HISTORY®September 2015

Maryland Historical Society
Jacksonland
Rice University

Braddock's Defeat: The Battle of the Monongahela and the Road to Revolution

On July 9, 1755, British regulars and American colonial troops under the command of General Edward Braddock, commander in chief of the British Army in North America, were attacked by French and Native American forces shortly after crossing the Monongahela River and while making their way to besiege Fort Duquesne in the Ohio Valley, a few miles from what is now Pittsburgh. The long line of red-coated troops struggled to maintain cohesion and discipline as Indian warriors quickly outflanked them and used the dense cover of the woods to masterful effect. Within hours, a powerful British army was routed, its commander mortally wounded, and two-thirds of its forces casualties in one the worst disasters in military history.                     David Preston's gripping and immersive account of Braddock's Defeat, also known as the Battle of the Monongahela, is the most authoritative ever written. Using untapped sources and collections, Preston offers a reinterpretation of Braddock's Expedition in 1754 and 1755, one that does full justice to its remarkable achievements. Braddock had rapidly advanced his army to the cusp of victory, overcoming uncooperative colonial governments and seemingly insurmountable logistical challenges, while managing to carve a road through the formidable Appalachian Mountains. That road would play a major role in America's expansion westward in the years ahead and stand as one of the expedition's most significant legacies. Braddock's Defeat establishes beyond question its profoundly pivotal nature for Indian, French Canadian, and British peoples in the eighteenth century. The disaster altered the balance of power in America, and escalated the fighting into a global conflict known as the Seven Years' War.
"This ill-fated campaign has attracted the attention of many fine historians, yet none of them has explored it so thoughtfully and compellingly as David Preston." - Stephen Brumwell, The Wall Street Journal
"A vivid, sweeping account of a battle with singular impact on American history. The brilliant scholarship behind Braddock's Defeat is exceeded only by David L. Preston's storytelling verve." - Rick Atkinson, author of THE LIBERATION TRILOGY
Purchase the book today!

     Read the Spring NHC Newsletter!

         NHC Supporters                  ACLS Humanities E-Book
Agricultural History Society
Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
Centre for International Governance Innovation
Dole Institute of Politics
George Washington's Mount Vernon
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
HISTORY
History News Network
History 500
Laurel Hill Cemetery
Maryland Historical Society
Museum of Florida History
National Council for History Education
National Museum of American History
National Vietnam War Museum
National World War II Museum
Ohio Historical Society
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
Organization of American Historians

Phi Alpha Theta
Society of Architectural Historians
The Churchill Centre
The Concord Review
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
World History Association

         Maryland Historical Society
                             The Student Research Center for History (SEARCH) at the Maryland Historical Society is designed to introduce middle and high school students to primary source-based historical research. Through SEARCH students will gain access to the Society's vast collection of original manuscripts, images, and artifacts, which focus on United States History through a Maryland lens! Students will work alongside professional researchers, developing nuanced content knowledge through the use of important research and analytical skills. They will learn to identify and analyze primary sources through exploration of our archival collection, developing research skills increasingly important for college coursework, while reinforcing United States history and government content.
For out-of-state schools, we now offer SEARCH programs virtually, using MdHS's new TIMELINE STUDIO! These virtual field trips incorporate interactive videoconferencing to bring a dynamic museum experience into the classroom. Students will analyze high quality copies of primary sources, and even have the ability to annotate digitally, with their findings displayed on the studio's screen. Our museum educators facilitate the exchange and provide expertise to show your students what it really means to be a historian.
Whether onsite or virtual, students will engage in an exciting exploration of "America in Miniature," as Maryland is known. Programs can address U.S. History topics ranging from colonization, westward expansion, border states during the Civil War, up to immigration and Civil Rights! Individual research sessions may also be arranged for students and teachers, a great option for those participating in National History Day.
For more information and to schedule a SEARCH Program, contact David Armenti at darmenti at mdhs.org or (410) 685-3750 x 324.
         Further details available online!     Jacksonland
                             Jacksonland is the thrilling narrative history of two men - President Andrew Jackson and Cherokee chief John Ross - who led their respective nations at a crossroads of American history. Five decades after the Revolutionary War, the United States approached a constitutional crisis. At its center stood two former military comrades locked in a struggle that tested the boundaries of our fledgling democracy. Jacksonland is their story.
"This narrative of the forced removal of Cherokee Indians from their ancient homeland in the 1830s is framed as a contest between two determined and stubborn adversaries who had once been allies.  President Andrew Jackson eventually prevailed over Cherokee Chief John Ross in a conflict that culminated in the infamous Trail of Tears.  Steve Inskeep skillfully captures the poignant drama of this tragic tale." - James McPherson, author of Embattled Rebel and Battle Cry of Freedom
"Few episodes in American history evoke greater controversy and bitterness than Indian removal and the Cherokee Trail of Tears.  Steve Inskeep's Jacksonland brilliantly retells this troubling story...Told with pinpoint accuracy, even-handed sympathy, and sparkling prose, this is truly a tale for our times." - Daniel Feller, University of Tennessee, Director of the Papers of Andrew Jackson
Penguin Press | Hardcover | 448 pages | 978-1-59420-556-9 | $29.95
         Find out more information!	 Rice University
                             The History Department offers one of the most popular undergraduate majors at Rice University - and also one of the most challenging. Our faculty offer outstanding geographical coverage of Asia and the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Africa, in addition to Europe, the United States, and the Atlantic World. At least six of our faculty research primarily in periods before 1700, ranging from the Byzantine Empire to southern Africa to south Asia. Other faculty specialize in the history of slavery and race, nanotechnology, oceangoing trade, and refugees and human rights, to pick out a few themes that are well supported in our curriculum. Eight of our faculty have won prestigious prizes from Rice University or national organizations for their outstanding teaching and mentoring; every single one of our faculty score highly on Rice's student evaluations.
Students selected to write an honors thesis, as well as a wide range of other undergraduates, have access to generous funding for research around the country and even world. We seek to support international travel for our students wherever possible; recent destinations of our students include China, Brazil, France, the Netherlands, and Zambia. Each year, the department celebrates with its majors and award winners at our Senior Champagne Toast. Our majors go on to a wide range of careers. Medicine, law, the study of history at the graduate level, and secondary school teaching are strongly represented; they have also made careers in print and television journalism, consulting, and small business, among many other fields. All of them hone their writing and research skills in our program and are sought after by employers or by advanced programs of study of their choice.
For more information on our department, please visit history.rice.edu. And to learn more about Rice University's highly selective student body, residential college system, and more, visit www.rice.edu.
                     ::             rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org
            ::             http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org

Forward email