[Ohiogift] Disability Studies Program - Toledo

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Aug 11 11:26:21 EDT 2015

  Everyone:

 The University of Toledo has introduced a new degree area, disability studies. If you or anyone you know might be interested in pursuing such an opportunity, please read the UT-sourced introduction below.

 For more information on the program, please go to these UT links:

   Introduction to the program: http://www.utoledo.edu/llss/disability/
 Coursework:  http://www.utoledo.edu/llss/disability/program/dst-major.html
 Sample plan of study: http://www.utoledo.edu/llss/disability/program/plan-of-study.html

 Best wishes,
 Art Snyder
artsnyder44 at cs.com
For: Jean Kremer, Jean.Kremer at mcesc.org
 Disabilities Studies Introduction:
  Disability Studies explores the meaning of human difference – how we value some bodies and devalue others, how we accept or resist certain notions of “normal” behavior, function, and appearance. Rather than positioning the range of human circumstances that today we call “disability” simply within a medical framework, disability studies helps us to understand the full spectrum of human variation, challenging the barriers which may prevent disabled people from participating fully in their communities by promoting the ideals of inclusion, independent living, and community integration.
 PROGRAM The Disability Studies Program offers the first of its kind major in Disability Studies in the United States. This degree is truly interdisciplinary, centered in the liberal arts and social sciences while drawing on insights from across the campus. The DST major and minor emphasize critical thinking in an accessible framework of creative problem-solving. Today’s graduates will have to solve problems that we cannot even imagine yet; DST helps students develop the skills not only to understand the world around them but also to design and execute the best solutions to those problems.
 RELEVANCE Estimates suggest that as many as one in every five people could be considered disabled, so knowledge of disability issues can be useful for anyone who works with or provides products and services to the wider community. DST is relevant not only to students from medical and rehabilitation fields but also to students in many other disciplines as well. Students in disability studies enter a wide range of fields, including business, social work, engineering, policy and advocacy, law, education, nursing, pharmacy, and recreational therapy. The program prepares students for work in industry, government agencies, community organizations, media outlets, and education, as well as in the disability community.
 COLLABORATION The Disability Studies Program at the University of Toledo works closely with the Ability Center of Greater Toledo and other local, state and national disability organizations. We are committed to producing scholarship that is of practical benefit to the lives of disabled people, work which influences local, national, and international debates.
  Through our scholarship and creative activity in disability studies, we can make important contributions to the broadest range of public discourse, from the most fundamental questions (for example, What does it mean to be human?) to applied questions about how we choose to organize and make sense of a complex world. Along the way we participate in social policy debates over the most pressing problems facing society, including health care, education, welfare, the role of government, personal freedom and independence, and many other key matters.
 CONTACT Contact us about the major or minor if you have any questions, or if you would like to discuss your options, phone: 419.530.7244, email: Jim.Ferris at utoledo.edu.