[Ohiogift] Please help pass the TALENT act

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Mon Feb 9 01:47:32 EST 2015

Friends:

Below are links to additional information on the NAGC website concerning
S.363, The Talent Act and a copy of the letter I am sending to my Senators asking them to act as cosponsors.

http://www.nagc.org/get-involved/advocate-high-ability-learners/nagc-advocacy/federal-legislative-update/talent-act

http://www.nagc.org/sites/default/files/Advocacy/TALENT%20Act%20summary%20%282015%29.pdf

I hope some of you will also send messages.  You can do so easily through their websites (below).  I think this Act will be helpful for TAG education and that we have a fair chance of success this session--if we act together.

Margaret

Dear----

Please sign on as a cosponsor to S.363, The Talent Act.  This bipartisan bill addresses the most neglected group of students in America, our Talented and Gifted students.  Today, too many of these students waste most of their time in school because their teachers lack training and support to provide effective instruction to high-achieving students. The Act has four main provisions:

    --Support Educator Development to Ensure Academic Growth for High-Ability Students
    --Confront and Address Excellence Gaps
    --Provide Public Transparency of Student Achievement Data
    --Continue Research and Dissemination on Best Practices in Gifted Education

As an Oregon parent and education advocate for more than 25 years, I believe this act will enhance education for all students.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely yours,

Margaret DeLacy