[Ohiogift] Early Graduation and Class Rank/Scholarships

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Tue Dec 16 20:53:03 EST 2014

Eleven years ago, when our son graduated from high school and OSU within the same week, the local high school (Beavercreek) made no adjustments to his GPA or class rank even though all of his classes were taken in college and some of the classes were at the 500 level.  Meanwhile, the school district weighted the AP classes taken by students at the high school for class rank.  We decided early on not to make and issue of it since the law clearly stated the school districts had that perogative, and we would let them wallow in their anti-PSEO student trough while plowing ahead with his education as best we could.  One elected State representative called us about the issue, and as I recall my husband told her we thought it was dumb and thoughtless, but we were mainly interested in getting our son an education program that would work for him which we thought could better be done through the 4 colleges he attended through PSEO.  The class rank issue and how scholarships are managed in the K-18 system hurts many of the brightest students.  Meritocracy and awarding scholarships are only politically correct and compatible in our education system when it comes to football, basketball, etc.

This is not exactly the same issue you are addressing, but I consider it relevant.  About the same time, a PSEO student in the Dayton region sued her school district (I think successfully) over how the school district treated her class rank and the classes she took in college as a PSEO student.  As far as I am concerned, class rank is too politically charged in most, if not all, school districts and is generally not a positive influence on the educational environment.  I think Newsweek or Time a decade or so had a cover story about that very issue along with the large numbers of valedictorians and salutatorians being named in the school districts.  My own experience in high school almost 50 years ago was similar.  There obviously is not much progress on resolving this and many other issues, as far as I know.

Mary Collier