[Ohiogift] creative thinking

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Mon Dec 8 10:32:33 EST 2014

One of the gifted service options my districts consider for creative thinking IDs, involves also examining the Iowa Assessments Reading/ELA Total & Math Total, as well as OAA scores - if available.
If a student has a decent score (80th percentile or higher) in either or both of those areas, we will offer a trial period for service with the GIS - who is teacher of record for reading and/or math.  If it's a good fit and the student is keeping up with the work & pace, he/she stays.  If it's not a good fit & the student struggles with the level of work & pace, he/she goes back to the regular classroom - though the regular ed. teacher is encouraged to "beef" up the level of questioning and thinking skills to further challenge the student.

Many of my districts are small, rural schools struggling to keep gifted programs alive.  Creative thinking IDs help boost the enrollment & keep the programs viable.  If the CT kids are in grades where the OAA have been given, we plot those scores and the Iowa reading and/or math scores to look for consistency in achievement levels which would support placement in the gifted class.

LeAnn Moser, NwOESC Gifted Education Coordinator
567-444-4800, ext. 4840
NwOESC
205 Nolan Parkway
Archbold, OH 43502

2014-15
Helping educators understand the special needs of high-ability students in the following NwOESC member school districts:
Edgerton, Edon, Evergreen, Holgate, Liberty Center, Millcreek-West Unity, Montpelier, North Central, Patrick Henry, Pettisville, and Stryker.

"I will spend no time on the argument that special treatment of the academically gifted is elitist.  It has no moral standing.  A special ability is a child's most precious asset.  When it comes to athletic and musical ability, no one considers withholding training that could realize those gifts.  It is just as senseless, and as ethically warped, to withhold training that can realize academic ability."     Charles Murray, REAL EDUCATION, p.146

“Athletics are performed publicly. Good academics are a secret.’’
 Will Fitzhugh, Founder, The Concord Review (1987)

"Parents and schools must provide children with equal opportunity, not equal treatment."      David A. Sousa

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this email and its attachments contain confidential and/or legally privileged information which is for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the comments of the contained information is strictly prohibited and that the documents should be returned to the sender immediately. If you have received this email in error, please notify us by email immediately.