[Ohiogift] Gifted children with high-functioning autism

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:09:10 EDT 2014

Folks, I'm sorry to be persnickety but can we be more inclusive in our language?  Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders are a varied group and while it may not seem offensive to use the term "high functioning" it means we also refer to others as "low functioning."  Are you prepared to look into the face of a child or the parent and tell them the child is "low functioning?"   We cannot have one without its reverse.  It denotes a pecking order, with one somehow better than the other. I encourage everyone to be more sensitive and use the diagnosis category (Aspergers or PDD-NOS).  After all, it should be obvious to us in gifted that a student with ASD who is twice exceptional meets the criteria for gifted.  Why demean the child with a qualification like "high functioning?"

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone