[Ohiogift] TAG articles

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 31 19:44:29 EDT 2014

Friends:

While I was out of town, quite a few articles about gifted education have appeared.  Instead of sending these out one-by-one, I am copying below linke to four articles that I found most interesting.

Margaret

Top 5 Misconceptions about Gifted Students and Setting the Record Straight
Gifted Parenting Support Blog by L. J. Conrad
http://giftedparentingsupport.blogspot.com/2014/07/top-5-misconceptions-about-gifted.html

"I worked in special education for 12 years. Never once did I hear complaints about our kids going on field trips or having extended computer time when the classroom teacher was overwhelmed by her regular education students. Not once. Not ever."

The U.S. Neglects Its Best Science Students Jul 15, 2014|
Educators must do a better job of spotting talented kids early, encouraging them and challenging them,  Rena F. Subotnik, Paula Olszewski-Kubilius and Frank C. Worrell for the Scientific American, July 15, 2014|
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-u-s-neglects-its-best-science-students/?noCache=1

Room for Debate: America's Future Depends on Gifted Students
A debate on the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/06/03/are-new-york-citys-gifted-classrooms-useful-or-harmful/americas-future-depends-on-gifted-students

Chester Finn's farewell:

http://edexcellence.net/articles/education-reform-in-2014

Chester Finn is stepping down as head of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute.  In an article summarizing his views on the state of education reform in 2014, he included a section on the relative neglect of gifted education that includes this sentence:

"Gifted education in America is patchy at best; at worst, our system is downright antagonistic to the needs of high-ability girls and boys."