[Ohiogift] Fwd: The Lucky Few

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 17 07:55:12 EDT 2014

Young footballers ramp up their game
Serious training for lucky few

By Michael McMahon

 | Globe Staff   July 17, 2014

George Rizer for The Boston Globe

Newton South High’s Austin Burton drops back for a pass at the Football University training camp in Westwood.

It was not hard to pick out his athletic 6-foot-2 frame among the other quarterbacks working out on the turf at Westwood High School last Saturday morning.

A rising sophomore at Newton South High, Austin Burton was showcasing two of his discernible skills: a tremendous throwing motion, and rigorous footwork in the pocket.

The 16-year-old Burton was attending Football University, an invitation-only training camp run by former NFL players and coaches for players in grades six through 11. The three-day session, which attracted about 250 aspiring players from the region, involves on- and off-field training, along with seminars for parents and the student-athletes on college recruiting and the effect of social media. The registration fee is $500.
“When I first started the camp, I was just decent, really,” said Burton, who was quick to point how much he has developed as a player since he first participated in the three-day showcase four years ago.

“But as the years progress they have taught me all the mechanics to get better at my position.”

Two years ago, Burton was the quarterback for a Massachusetts squad that made a run at a national title.

“I see potential,” said Tony Ballard, the quarterbacks coach at the Westwood camp. “He has showcased that he has the talent; now he needs to continue to develop it.

“He has a live arm. That is not something you see a lot at this level, or at other camps.”
Burton has an athletic pedigree.

His grandfather, Ron Burton, was an All-American tailback at Northwestern University and the first draft pick of the Boston Patriots in 1960. His father, Steve, currently a WBZ-TV sports anchor, played QB at Northwestern. His sisters, Kendall (Villanova), and Kayla (Lehigh), play Division 1 college basketball.

“They have taught me to keep my composure,” he added. “That when things might not be going right, I have to keep my head high and get to the next play.”

After starting five games for the varsity at the end of his freshman year, Burton is utilizing the summer to gear up for the fall season, one in which he is determined to lead South to the playoffs. (“I’d like to throw three touchdowns a game,” he added with a smile.)

“Football season is really year round,” he added. “Summer camps are a great way to transition into the high school season.”

Ted Cottrell, head coach at the Westwood camp, agreed, noting the importance of repetition and drills.

“The more you’re out on the field, the more you’re in the classroom, and the more you are just talking about football, the better you’re going to become at it,” he said.

Cottrell, who was a highly respected defensive coordinator in the NFL with the Bills, Jets, Vikings, and Chargers, emphasized how important the off-field aspect of the game and camps can be in the development of young players.

“We spend quite a bit of time in the classroom at this particular camp,” he said, referring to the five classroom sessions all the athletes take part in, including one-on-one sessions with their position coaches. “There is a lot of teaching involved that focuses on technique.

“You can see the improvements from Friday night to Sunday,” he added. “With some kids, it’s almost night and day.”

Coby Tippett, a rising junior slot receiver/defensive back at Xaverian Brothers in Westwood, noted how his ball skills, and speed, have improved in each of the five years that he has attended Football U.

“It’s a great opportunity to get better and sit down with coaches and talk about what you need to work on.”

Tippett, the son of former Patriots great Andre Tippett, also pointed to the benefit of working with former NFL players, including running back LaMont Jordan, Pro Bowl defensive back Ray Buchanan, and kick return whiz Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.

The Riordan brothers, Josh and Nate, from Abington, see the camp as one of the major highlights in their summer training.

“This is certainly one of the bigger weekends of training,” said Josh, a rising senior defensive back. “Most days it’s just the same thing, lifting every day. This is a chance to do some more specialized training.”

“It helps to let me know where I line up compared to other players in the region,” said Nate, a wide receiver entering his junior season. “It is important to take what the coaches teach you and use it when you step on the field for game day.”

“I haven’t had a lot of defensive back coaching before,” added Josh. “So working with Coach Buchanan has definitely made a big difference.”

Michael Berluti, a rising 7th grader from Westwood, was one of the middle school athletes in attendance.

“I love to compete,” said Berluti, when asked about being at the camp with some of the premier high school talent in the region.

“You get used to what it is going to be like in high school at a younger age. It’s a great atmosphere.”

Berluti was attending the camp with his older brother, Matt, who will be a freshman at Westwood High this fall. “We’re trying to put the work in early,” said Matt.

“It starts at the youth level,” said Cottrell. “I always tell them to take advantage of the incredible amount of talent and knowledge of the coaches in front of them.”

Mike McMahon can be reached at michael.mcmahon at globe.com.