[Ohiogift] Fwd: NEW! Non-fiction essay contest for teens--Prizes & Publication

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Fri May 2 09:53:46 EDT 2014

[I am guessing a 15,000-word history research paper on the Soviet-Afghan War
by a HS student would be ineligible?]

Where it is now at....nonfictionalized "essays" by TEENS...

What Kids Can Do ????  (2-4 pages)

Will Fitzhugh

We're looking for diverse voices on diverse topics: family, school, learning, relationships, race, culture, origins, religion, body image, social media, conflict, peace, change, our planet . . . . or whatever topic you choose. We care most about fresh ideas and stories written in a strong and true voice. We're listening for what moves our readers and what gives them hope--that's why we call our contest "Stirred But Not Shaken."

DOWNLOAD CONTEST FLYER TO SHARE WITH STUDENTS

Who can enter
Young people in the United States, ages 12 to 19.

Length: Roughly 500 - 1,000 words.

Begin forwarded message:

In 2006, WKCD and Next Generation Press published a book of nonfiction essays by youth across the country. Called Hip Deep: Opinion, Essays, and Vision from American Teenagers, the book became a hit with students (and teachers) who appreciated youth writing about issues meaningful to them.

Now we are adding to that original collection! So we're inviting youth like you, ages 13 to 19, to send us the best nonfiction essay you have written this year (or last) on a topic that you care about deeply. It could also be a speech you gave or an article you wrote (perhaps for your school newspaper)--something that made your friends and your teachers say, "Wow."

We're looking for diverse voices on diverse topics: family, school, learning, relationships, race, culture, origins, religion, body image, social media, conflict, peace, change, our planet . . . . or whatever topic you choose. We care most about fresh ideas and stories written in a strong and true voice. We're listening for what moves our readers and what gives them hope--that's why we call our contest "Stirred But Not Shaken."

DOWNLOAD CONTEST FLYER TO SHARE WITH STUDENTS

Who can enter
Young people in the United States, ages 12 to 19.

Length: Roughly 500 - 1,000 words.

To submit your entry
Please save your entry as a .doc or .docx file. At the top of its first page, include your full name, your date of birth, the name and address of your school, and your email address. Then email the file (as an attachment) to:  info at whatkidscando.org.

Deadline: May 31, 2014

Prize winners
We'll notify winners by email, by June 30, 2014. Winners will receive a $100 Amazon gift certificate. We will publish the winning essays on the WKCD website and in an updated e-book version of Hip Deep. As usual with published material, authors will be contacted to approve any edits to their work in the publication process.

Questions?
Please write us at info at whatkidscando.org or call 401.247.7665. Click here to see a "flip book" version of Hip Deep. Click here to download excerpts from the book or to order a hard copy.

Forward this email

This email was sent to fitzhugh at tcr.org by bcervone at whatkidscando.org |
WKCD | PO Box 603252 | Providence | RI | 02906