[Ohiogift] Chester Finn on differentiated instruction

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Thu May 1 20:07:48 EDT 2014

Friends:

Below is a link to and excerpt from an opinion by Chester Finn of the Fordham Institute.

There is also an opportunity to comment on this site.

Margaret

Is differentiated instruction a hollow promise?
Chester E. Finn, Jr., May 01, 2014

http://www.edexcellence.net/commentary/education-gadfly-daily/flypaper/is-differentiated-instruction-a-hollow-promise

"Plenty of teachers strive to do right by all their pupils. But I’ve sat in classrooms and watched as “smart” kids twiddled their thumbs (or acted out) in boredom and frustration while the instructor toiled to get basic concepts into the heads of those who, for whatever reason, were finding it much harder to learn. And when speaking to audiences of teachers, I’ve noted that any suggestion that “differentiated instruction” works better in theory than in reality usually elicits applause or, at minimum, a knowing and somewhat cynical chuckle."