[Ohiogift] No (Gifted) Child Left Behind

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 21:46:07 EDT 2014

Friends:

Below is a link to, and excerpt from, an article by Chester Finn entitled "No (Gifted) Child Left Behind."

Margaret

February 25, 2014
defining ideas
No (Gifted) Child Left Behind
by Chester E. Finn Jr. (Senior Fellow and Chair, K–12 Education Task Force)

Though we’ve made enormous strides in K-12 education, we are neglecting our smartest and often poorest kids.

".....Despite all the alarm over international economic competitiveness, essentially nobody in Washington—certainly nobody at the Education Department or White House—is paying attention to this problem (save for boosting “STEM” education, though not necessarily for smart kids).
Nor have the business and scientific communities made it a priority. They are likelier to focus on immigration laws that determine the difficulty of importing advanced talent from abroad.
One might expect higher education leaders to focus, but the elite universities have plenty of smart, qualified applicants—huge proportions of them from the upper middle class, of course—and many other campuses accept all who apply, then “remediate” them as needed....."

http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/169261