[Ohiogift] Knowledge Workers

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Mon Mar 10 10:08:40 EDT 2014

"Mankind needs more to be reminded than informed."

Samuel Johnson

Students are knowledge workers, too.

Will Fitzhugh

-------------------------

In a June 3, 1990 column in The New York Times, Albert Shanker,
President of the American Federation of Teachers, wrote:

“...It is also worth thinking about as we consider how to reform our education system. As we’ve known for a long time, factory workers who never saw the completed product and worked on only a small part of it soon became bored and demoralized. But when they were allowed to see the whole process—or better yet become involved in it—productivity and morale improved. Students are no different. When we chop up the work they do into little bits—history facts and vocabulary and grammar rules to be learned—it’s no wonder that they are bored and disengaged. The achievement of The Concord Review’s authors offers a different model of learning. Maybe it’s time for us to take it seriously.”

----------------------------
“Teach with Examples”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]
The Concord Review [1987]