[Ohiogift] SAT to drop essay requirement as part of overhaul

Colleen Grady cdg.gradyllc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:38:25 EST 2014

I don't think the essay is completely gone. Here's what I received from the
College Board:

The highlights are found below and full explanation here:
https://www.collegeboard.org/delivering-opportunity/sat?excmpid=MTG258-CB-1-do

*Major Changes*

 More than half of the students who take the SAT are not prepared for
college. And, even among those who are ready, many low-income and minority
students do not take advantage of the opportunities they have earned.

 The College Board is committed to taking these issues head on and
announced plans to move beyond delivering assessments to delivering
opportunity for students so they will be better prepared to succeed in
college and career.

 As part of this, the College Board is redesigning the SAT to focus on the
few things that evidence show matter most for college and career readiness.

 The redesigned SAT will be clearer and more open than any in the College
Board’s history. Students and teachers will know what is covered on the
exam.

 Recognizing that the culture and practice of high priced test preparation
drive inequality, the College Board is partnering with Khan Academy to
provide free test practice to the world for the redesigned SAT.

o For students who will take the current SAT, the College Board will
partner with Khan Academy to provide sample test forms to support their
efforts at providing free resources for students and families.

 The College Board will also ensure that every income-eligible student who
takes the SAT will directly receive four fee waivers to apply to college.
This initiative builds on the College Board’s recent outreach to provide
college-ready, low-income students with customized, targeted support for
the college application process.

*Overview on the Redesigned SAT*

The first administration of the redesigned exam will take place in spring
2016.

The redesigned exam will:

 Have three sections – Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, Math, and the
Essay.

 Return to the 1600 scale. The essay will provide a separate score.

 Be approximately three hours, with an additional 50 minutes for the
essay. We will finalize precise timing through research.

 We will offer the redesigned SAT both in print and by computer in select
sites in 2016.