[Ohiogift] Students Writing History

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Mon Jan 13 08:51:43 EST 2014

....Knowledge of the events of history is important, obviously, but also I think what I see in college students, that seems to be lacking at least when they come into college, is writing experience. In other words, being able to write that little essay with an argument. I see that they think, "OK, there are the facts of history and that's it—what more is there to be said?" But of course, the very selection of what is a fact, or what is important as a fact, is itself based on an interpretation. You can't just separate fact and interpretation quite as simply as many people seem to think. I would love to see students get a little more experience in trying to write history, and trying to understand why historical interpretation changes over time.

Historian Eric Foner
in The Atlantic
Interview with David Cutler
January 10, 2014

[but we don't have the time to let students do
academic expository writing in our schools, right?]

-----------------------
“Teach by Example”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]
The Concord Review [1987]